• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rebuild part acquisition problems with M5R1 transmission on a 2004 ranger 4.0

homesculptor

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
heavy
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 2004 ranger extended cab with the jump seats and 1/2 doors. It's a fx4 4x4 4.0. The input shaft broke, and I'm rebuilding the trans. It took out the cluster gear. All other parts are fine except for the input shaft bearing where it broke.

I'm coming across a design change problem. The second gear is a "multi piece" instead of a one piece gear with a synchro, whatever that means, other than the extra $500 they want for the "multipiece." All I want is the damn brass synchro. I'm not sure if there is a difference, and nobody has been able to tell me from the panapoly of sellers that don't know.

I'm sure somebody in the world rebuilt a 2004 M5R1. Any help and information would be appreciated.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Have you talked to Cobra Transmission to see if they have what you need? They have been a great resource for many here and have a lot of parts for M5ODs. Inland truck parts has also been a good source for me personally.

homesculptor

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
heavy
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've spoken with them in the past, but regarding the transfer case I rebuilt. Yes they were very friendly and eager to answer questions. I'll call them. Thanks much. I did find a trans with the same hull sticker # I have, and the same year. 500 bucks 18k, and only 5 bad reviews lol

I could buy that, get it in the truck, and rebuild my broken one for 150, and sell it for 500. Hmmmm. In the mean time I could sell the truck at the same time, or maybe they want a spare transmission.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals