• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Reductive Design... from Ford CEO

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
So pull the fuse and put a broken one in...

And my statement stands, rangers aren't expensive enough for thieves with the tech knowledge or tools to steal them to even want them. If you have those tools you steal expensive cars...

Last edited:

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
IDK, @Dirtman, the 6.0 diesels are the most stolen vehicle in the U.S. (or at least they were at one time) and they have a horrible reputation and have never been super expensive compared to others in there class and year range. Granted, they didn't have PATS, so it was an easy mark. Never quite understood that. Funny thing is, the Excursions did have PATS and they were almost identical in every other way, except for the obvious.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's not hard to steal a PATS vehicle, there's a device called an interrupter that will get around it. It didn't take car thieves long to come up with it, either. Now PATS just costs people money. Much as I dislike ABS, don't pull the fuse. If you get in a wreck and it's found a lawyer will skin you, whether it had any affect or not. If there's a blown fuse in the slot that's different.
There is another device known as a tow truck that will make short work of hauling something off.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Your definition of "skilled enough" and my definition of "skilled enough" may be vastly different. And, your definition of "skilled" enough" may be vastly different from that of @alwaysFlOoReD. And it may be vastly different from that of the DMV.
Spending the majority of my life running around in michigan winters in 2wd trucks and never having a serious issue i think speaks for itself.

Furthermore none of yall have ever rode with me anyways so ya cant speak on my driving skill.

The bottom line to me is abs, trac control, whatever you wanna talk about is nothing more then devices to further allow people to screw off when driving.

If they want to install the shit fine, but there needs to be a handy button/switch to disable the shit when it gets in my way.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
The bottom line is that you don’t get to decide what they put on new vehicles any more than any of us do.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I need ABS... because I want trail control and the other terrain management systems.

In my first post I said I didn't want all the techy stuff. Probably misleading... I do want some of it. I'm also on the fence with a screen. But if it has redundant manual controls... I don't need it. I don't need my vehicle to turn into a 4G hotspot... or listen to podcasts. I'm not buying any subscription radio or connectivity... so it would be nice not to pay for the hardware. In fact... with a removable top and roll cage... I don't even want carpet. Rubber mat front to rear for me please.

Safety features aren't going anywhere... not sure why we're arguing over them.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I’ll agree with that. I listen to XM for six months free when I buy a new truck... then it’s gone. I won’t pay for it.
I do like the navigation the few times I’ve used it. Maybe 12 times in 3 years... it not really worth having it.
I like heated mirrors and think every car should have them. But I don’t see the point in power folding mirrors that automatically retract when you shut the key off. I like how some vehicles will tilt the mirrors down a little when you put it in reverse, but with everything connected today, that’s just programming.
Dual zone heat and a/c.... how do you people live in the same house?! How did we survive all these years without being 3 degrees cooler then person next to us?!
Why do I need bumpers? I’m not planning on hitting anything.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I've never heard of ABS brakes letting up on the brakes to the point your flying down a hill.... You must have had another brake issue because you should have brakes when hitting the pedal... NHTSA mandated the ABS for a reason. Just ask what NHTSA stands for. It's been required on new vehicles since 2013.
I did not have another brake issue. It was not as if I was going down a smooth hill. I was off-road and the hill was steep and full of moguls which made one or two wheels periodically not touch the ground or have very little traction. That results in those one or two wheels locking up with the brakes applied and with ABS activated, it reduced the brake pressure and began pulsing. Without having full use of the brakes, gravity took over and partial free fall sent the truck down the hill. Once I learned to remove the fuse when off-road, I have not had that problem again.

I have nothing against ABS. In fact, I prefer to have it in most situations but there are some conditions where it is a hindrance. There may be some ABS systems that would work in all conditions, but not my Ranger ABS system.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I did not have another brake issue. It was not as if I was going down a smooth hill. I was off-road and the hill was steep and full of moguls which made one or two wheels periodically not touch the ground or have very little traction. That results in those one or two wheels locking up with the brakes applied and with ABS activated, it reduced the brake pressure and began pulsing. Without having full use of the brakes, gravity took over and partial free fall sent the truck down the hill. Once I learned to remove the fuse when off-road, I have not had that problem again.

I have nothing against ABS. In fact, I prefer to have it in most situations but there are some conditions where it is a hindrance. There may be some ABS systems that would work in all conditions, but not my Ranger ABS system.
Some semis destined for off road use actually have a switch to disable the ABS just for this reason.

Its a switch you have to hold, but its there.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I think I know what bobby is saying... but I'm usually not positive... so that's why I say "think".

"thread title" - Reductive Design... It's way bigger then removing a garage door opener if you don't need one. It starts with a new architecture. I think it begins with the Bronco... and falls into place for our beloved Ranger on a T6 chassis.

"platforms in testing" - Gotta be the T6 for the Bronco/Ranger. Pretty reliable rumors have it that there is going to be a manual option for the production Bronco. They better be testing with production dates that are coming sooner then later. Also... solid front axle has already been put in a T6. Tooling, suppliers and processes have already been created... it's like hitting the big red EASY button.

I believe the T6 is gonna blow up... and there will be something for everyone in the near future.

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

I try not to look at this new rendering behind the front fenders and windshield... those door surrounds are just awful. But it has a SFA... and to truly go head to head with Jeep... It's got to have it.

I'm thinking it will be offered probably year 2... or I'm trying to manifest my own destiny at least.

The suspense of this damn Bronco is killing me... but I believe it's gonna be one bad mo fo.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
I doubt the production model will have 3 windshield wipers, beadlocks or a weird blue "R" in "BRONCO". :unsure:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I would just be happy if they broke up the packages so you don't have to pick things you don't want in order to get things you do want. Some manual controls would be nice too. Like manual window cranks as an example.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I doubt the production model will have 3 windshield wipers, beadlocks or a weird blue "R" in "BRONCO". :unsure:
Ah yes... the weird R

Probably not production... but Amazon will have a sticker kit 12 minutes after the first one is sold off the lot:cool:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals