• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replace the alternator issues - ‘86 2.9

JohnG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75R15
My credo
We need to stop messing with the framework that the founding fathers created.
So my alternator went out this weekend and I’m have trouble finding a replacement.

From research and numerous parts stores including Rockauto the are two options: one with external voltage regulator (incorrect wiring and mount) and internal regulator (correct wiring and mount). The big issue is internal regulator ones all have serpentine pulley not v-belt
I ordered one off Rockauto (REMY 23644) but it arrived with serpentine pulley even though pix showed v-belt pulley.

My thought is to swap pulleys but the shafts don’t look like they are the same diameter.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would make the call to see why it didn't come with the V-belt pulley
And either exchange or have them send you an email that full warranty is applied even if you change the pullies, if you even want to try

JohnG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75R15
My credo
We need to stop messing with the framework that the founding fathers created.
A short update. We simply swapped the pulleys. My son did it at his work so I don’t have details on difficulty or special tools, but it’s done.
Surprisingly the truck runs sooooo much better! The miss that I have been searching for pretty much since I got the truck is gone. And mileage’s way better. Estimating 5mpg better.
Our guess is the old alternator was barely working and weak or spotty electricity was confusing the computer. That’s 100% guess though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals