• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacement Cats on a 1999 Ranger 4.0

RonSerling

Reaction score
High in the mountains of San Bernardino National F
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
ummmmm 4" could be 6 but its a TTB and the little bugger varies from time to time !! LOL
Tire Size
33/12.5 15
Ok here is the issue !! I have a 99 Ranger 4.0 and when I got it from this hack it had a ton of issues. One was that the rear cat was plugged and I have replaced it. Now I am getting an issue from the front ones in the "Y" pipe and in doing research I have found (A) there is only one aftermarket replacement from MagnaFlow for $800 and (B) Ford does not offer a new part as they state it is obsolete. Now my question is does anyone know if I can get just the replacement cats and cut out the old and replace them or am I stuck having to buy this over priced part from MagnaFlow. If you say I can just replace the cats can you tell me who sells them also ?? Any info would be a big help. Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You are in Calif. so have to be careful in replacing Cats, they need to come with "Calif approved" paper work

In addition all aftermarket converters sold or installed in the state of California must bear an Executive Order (EO Tag) stamp issues by CARB (California Air Resources Board).
This new law firmly states that the California EO Number (Executive Order) must physically appear directly on the converter.
But yes you can cut out old Cats and install "approved" Cats , or have an independent muffle shop do it, they can bend and weld custom pipes as needed
Chain muffler shops generally can't/won't be able to bend and weld pipes, they just bolt in replacements parts as available

RonSerling

Reaction score
High in the mountains of San Bernardino National F
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
ummmmm 4" could be 6 but its a TTB and the little bugger varies from time to time !! LOL
Tire Size
33/12.5 15
Ron I know the stupidity of the laws here !!! I went thru the mill getting the rear cats for the truck. I have the engine family number and I am looking for some place that can take the number and give me just a replacement cat !! I have a nicely equipped shop so I can do the replacement here !! I just need to find someone that has the correct parts !!!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Magna flow will most likely be the least expensive makers, still not cheap, lol

They do make universal Calif approved Cats, you just need to sort thru pipe size and dimensions
These would be cheaper than the pre-made bolt in system for $800, which is the "correct part"

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I had to get a replacement Y-pipe with cats for my Sport Trac last year, aftermarket replacement but it was also about $800. PA isn't as strict as CA about replacement parts but my county still has emissions testing. PA is goofy, some counties have emissions testing and some don't.

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok here is the issue !! I have a 99 Ranger 4.0 and when I got it from this hack it had a ton of issues. One was that the rear cat was plugged and I have replaced it. Now I am getting an issue from the front ones in the "Y" pipe and in doing research I have found (A) there is only one aftermarket replacement from MagnaFlow for $800 and (B) Ford does not offer a new part as they state it is obsolete. Now my question is does anyone know if I can get just the replacement cats and cut out the old and replace them or am I stuck having to buy this over priced part from MagnaFlow. If you say I can just replace the cats can you tell me who sells them also ?? Any info would be a big help. Thanks
Check out these listings! Ordered a lot of cats from these guys--never had issues with the product Not sure about California requirements tho.

This might take you to the page you need--1999 Ford Ranger, with 4.0--looks like several configs to go thru

https://www.converterwarehouse.com/catalytic_converters/converters.cfm?Make=FORD TRUCKS&YearSelected=1999&CylSelected=6&Model=RANGER

Also used HottExhaust--Here is their catalog and home page https://www.hottexhaust.com/california-direct-fit-catalytic-converter/

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals