• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing 4R44E: Additional Sensors on New Unit

cahman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Transmission went out in my 1998 3.0 Ranger. I'm swapping it with one from a newer ranger ('03 I think). I believe it is a 5R44E, although my understanding is it should interchange.

The new unit has two additional connectors on it. Both are two pin jobbers. In the picture: new tranny in the front. One connector is right above the gear position indicator. The other is just below the transmission vent. They look like sensors to me. Maybe a temp sensor and a speed sensor?
100_0024.JPG

Thanks,
Cahman

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
They are intermediate and output speed sensors.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You just leave them unconnected, its the OSS and ISS sensors

Your 1998 computer calculates output shaft speed(OSS) using signal from GEM and rear axle VSS

Only the 5R computers used the ISS sensor and OSS sensor, which is why you can't swap the other way, a 4R trans into a 5R vehicle, the computer in the 5R NEEDS those two sensors

You do need to swap over your Range sensor(DTR sensor) on the shift rod, 5R model won't work with your 4R wiring

I did read about OD shift issuse but I think that was just the "used" transmission blues, not a compatibility issue, but can't say for sure

cahman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for your replies!

You do need to swap over your Range sensor(DTR sensor) on the shift rod, 5R model won't work with your 4R wiring
I also have a 99 ranger 3.0 4WD. I went to replace the DTR sensor on it. I ordered the "4 speed trans" sensor from Rock auto (pictured below)

However this transmission, as well as the 98 and 03 trans from the first post, have the "5 speed trans" DTR as in this picture:

Is this the swap you are referring to? Or, even though they all look like the second DTR picture, they might have some differences internally?

I think they upgraded the 4.0 trans to 5 forward speeds earlier (97 maybe?) than the 3.0 I wonder if they switched all the DTRs at that point. Or maybe it just depends on what parts they had around?

Thanks again,
Cahman

cahman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just wanted to close the loop:

Swapped in the 5R44E. Left the ISS and OSS unhooked. I used the DTR that came on the 5R44E. On a 20 minute test drive: shifts were good, every range on the selector functioned like it should, no OD shift issues. YMMV

Additional Notes:
This is a pain to swap from the ground.
You don't have to take out the exhaust crosspipe, but I bet it is a lot easier if you do!
Expect to cut off and replace any exhaust bolts that need removed.
Expect at least some of the captive nuts on the TX crossmember to break. Cut/Grind them off and replace the clips.

--Cahman

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the update and info on DTR sensor

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals