• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing Column Shifter

john5482

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
When I had been working on my A4LD transmission, I broke a section of the shift cable. Since the hard plastic used becomes brittle with age, I have decided to replace the column shifter with a floor shifter. Does any one know if the B&M Light Truck Mega shifter will work with a A4LD transmission? B&M calls out using an AOD, C4, C6 transmissions, these use 6 detentes: 1,2,D,N,R,P which are standard for most. The A4LD uses 7 detentes: 1,2,3,D,N,R,P. I'm prepared to modify the shift bracket, carpet, etc. My concern is if the ranges will work or not for this shifter. This shifter, it's the best one I've seen for light trucks. If it can't be used, what would be the best choice for automatic floor shifters used with A4LD transmissions in a 1989 Ranger super cab 2.9L?

ZSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Would a shifter for a Chevy work in this case? I know that many of the pickups have a 7 detent pattern. IIRC there are some older floor shift autos in Rangers. Our 86 we had was a floor shift.

john5482

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I looked at a few shifters made by Hurst and B&M including ones for Chevy's. I'm waiting for a reply from those two Companies to see if any of their products might work. I heard of a shifter that had been designed for my truck back in 2000, but when I saw an illustration on the product, it only showed the standard 6 positions. I found a possible conversion linkage kit for 1968-81 to 68-72 shifters for GM tranny's TH-700-R4, TH-200-4R and 4L60. This kit was only designed for the earlier Chevy. To find a conversion kit for the B&M truck mega shifter to work with a 1989 Ford Ranger 2.9L Super was my main goal. The closest I could find so far is a possible floor shifter used on a 1991 Ford Aerostar. I found out later, the shifter is not OEM, with no name or ID of any kind on it. Hurst may have a closer match, their products look just like B&M's, we'll see. The search goes on, there's so much out there it takes a long time to come up with any possible matches.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals