• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing Compressor, Do cans of R124 have oil in them?

BillRod

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95=4.9L Others=4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hi All

93 Ranger.
We are replacing Compressor, Do cans of R134 already have oil in them?

Or do I need to purchase it separately?
And if so then how do I add it to the system?

Thanks
Bill

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, they shouldn't.

Yes you need to buy it separately, most Fords use PAG(polyalkylene glycol) 46, but double check it

Oil is added to the compressor directly before installing.
Best way is to pull out old compressor remove the lines then drain old oil into clean measuring container rotate pump to get all the oil out, to see how much oil is in there.

That amount is usually the amount you will want to put into the new compressor.
Or look on the compressor it may have the ounces of oil needed stamped onto it.

Video here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=TANldmkL0sg

Found this page: http://www.techchoiceparts.com/refrigerant-and-oil-capacities/efgh#ford-light-truck
Lists Ranger AC data

1993 looks like it used R12 and mineral oil, last year of it

Read here on changing over to r134a: http://www.aa1car.com/library/retrofit.htm

Last edited:

will1861

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Really look at converting to the R134. It will save you in the future. I finally bit the bullet , and replaced my whole system. New everything. You may not have to replace it all but something's you really have to look at. Number one is why did you compressor fail? Did the Teflon seals fly apart and spewed all of the black grease and debris all thru your system? If this is the case you will have a time trying to flush all that out. I believe it can be done correctly but check out the forum for more info. I spent about $330 on parts by shrewd shopping and buying parts a little at a time. Evilbay LP can be a friend sometimes. Then about $40 on R 134 and Pag 46. Rented the tools from AutoZone for about $260. Make sure you pull a good vacuum for at least an hour. Longer if you can. Any kind of leak and you will be doing it again. Thanks to all the information and tips on here.My truck has gotten too cold to run on high here, even in traffic and 90*+ degree weather. It beat the hell out of the estimated $1000 quotes.I feel confident that I will not have to worry about A/C for a few years now. Follow whatever specs on the oil, that the old R12 system called for.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

Diggerauditor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anytime you have the system open, i.e. to replace a part, it's a good idea to replace the receiver dryer/accumulator at the same time. The fresh dryer normally collects parts from the compressor should it fail and also the desiccant will keep the system dry from any moisture that gets in. Had to do that on my Son's Ranger when his Condenser developed a leak and had to replace it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals