• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Resurrection of a Bronco II

rdbjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have owned an '88 Bronco II (2.9L, unknown transmission -- 3rd one since I've owned it, 4wd) for about 12 years now, but it has seen better days. Now that my life has settled down a bit I am in the planning stages of a resurrection of this beast.

Since the engine is on its last legs (presumably cracked somewhere important as coolant is leaking into the cylinders), the clutch is dead, and this particular vehicle has needed a new transmission every 35,000 miles (heavy commuting up and down mountains when I was in college did not treat it well) it makes sense to start from the ground up and try to get some help from those who came before me.

I have figured out the following objectives for this vehicle:
1) street legal in NJ
2) more power than as delivered from the factory
3) heavier duty clutch/ transmission/ transfer case (and if necessary other components)
4) needs to continue to have a manual transmission
5) keep the A/C if possible (it has never worked for as long as I have owned it, but it's worth a shot)

At this point, as long as I am not going to spend $20k on the vehicle I think the project should be able to go to completion (I am married and spousal justification for that kind of expenditure would be a bit rough given that I could buy a new Escape with a manual transmission for a little bit more -- even if it has a smaller engine:annoyed:).

If anyone has a street-tested combination for the powertrain with more zip and endurance than the factory configuration, I would love to hear suggestions. Unfortunately, I have no experience welding, swapping engines, or generally removing parts heavier than myself from vehicles.

Thanks for your time!

Rudy

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would say its the strongest in STOCK form that he could put behin it, and I doubt he will put one through the same abuse that you do :buttkick:

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
You have to be sure that doesn't have any leaks...M5ODs will toast the bearings if you let the fluid leak out of them.

rdbjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the suggestions! I am not that familiar with the transfer case and axles regarding durability (I do vaguely remember replacing the universal joints at around 100,000 miles). Do you think the stock ones would work with the power the 4.0 could put out, or would there be a better combination?

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah your stock axles will be fine, unless you plan on doing some serious offroading, then you will want an 8.8 and a Dana 35 out of a newer ranger, preferably an explorer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals