• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rethinking rear speakers...

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Right now I have a Pioneer deck which is awesome and 4 6x8 pioneer speakers that sound pretty good but they lack in the deep bass so I added a sub (Memphis 12") but it kind of prevents the passenger from leaning back or adjusting the seat at all it also makes the back even more unbearable to sit in since theres one seat and its only got half the leg room.

Anyways I heard my GF's car with 6x9's or something insane in the back that give out amazing bass so I was thinking I could swap out the rears with 6x9's but from my experience the aftermarket speakers are more focused on mids and highs and leave the lows to subs so I'm not sure what to get. What would you guys recommend for 6x9's for bass?

I was also thinking about removing a jump seat and installing a smaller volume sub?

I don't really care about loud bass but it would be nice when the song asked for it. I think the 6x9's would give me a more even sound... :icon_twisted:

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how about replacing one of the pioneers with a 6 inch sub? or an 8 inch one if you don't mind a little cutting. still have all the good sound you like from the pioneers, plus a little more bass that you want. put the small sub on the passengers side so you hear and feel it better. those long wavelengths need a little distance for you to hear them well.
just a thought.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
how about replacing one of the pioneers with a 6 inch sub? or an 8 inch one if you don't mind a little cutting. still have all the good sound you like from the pioneers, plus a little more bass that you want. put the small sub on the passengers side so you hear and feel it better. those long wavelengths need a little distance for you to hear them well.
just a thought.
Hmmm... which one would I be replacing? I am keeping the front ones in place and thinking about 6x9's for the rear doors, you mean put a 6" in the passenger rear door? I have a 12" behind the passenger seat now but the box is too bulky and crams the passenger (wasn't a problem when i didnt give people rides lol)

strvger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah, i'd give it some thought. all you're really wanting is a little more bass. you should get that without giving up anything in the total sound of your system. i've done it with just 5 inch woofers in the back and regular speakers in front. worked for me.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
what i did was when i put in my rear speakers i had a rattle. i set the radio to front speakers only and totaly forgot about it. it sounded great still and off i went. eventually i fixed it, but my point is why dont you put 2 6 inch subs in the rear doors and there is your bass and highs and mids.

??
let me know what you decide

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I have the same issue. I want more bass, but don't want to sacrifice the space. I recently put the top of the line Pioneer 6X8's all around the truck and Quickroofed the doors which improved bass response a ton. But I only get bass from the door.

My problem is, and I'm sure most pre-98 Rangers with the Supercab are like this, is that Ford in their infinite wisdom made the hole in the body a teardrop shape so no decent speaker/magnet will fit in the rear. To compensate they made that stupid bracket to elevate it from the body an inch or so. This cancels any chance of decent bass response from these areas because it in not enclosed. In 98 they moved the speaker so it actually mounts to the grille itself which helped, but still leaves a bit to be desired. I am actually going to pull the paneling out a quick roof the rear and foam in the inside as best as I can and see if I can get my 6X8's to sound better. I actually had two 6 inch subs in the rear cavity's and my 6X8's sound better.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I've also toyed around with the idea of building a little center console for the rear and putting a 6 inch sub in it, but I'm going to try the Quickroof idea first.

strvger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the purists on here will probably think i'm crazy for adding bass this way. but, it sure seems silly to me to build big boxes (or small ones) using up what little space you have behind the seats when just substituting regular 2 or 3 way speakers with woofers or sub-woofers gets enough bass for many folks. with a decent head unit, you probably won't even need to add an amp for a sub that small. again, good luck with your tunes!

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Maybe just some different 6x8's would work in the rear, mine are the top of the line Pioneer 6x8's but they don't really give good bass, the woofer doesn't have much travel.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
i put rockfordfosgate power 6x9's in my buddys seabring last night....hollly shit. those things will beat. but there is also no way in hellll those will ever fit in our rangers those things a freaking huge!!

gettle03FX4LevelII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 Leve
Transmission
Manual
You could always just go with a bass tube you can usually get some decent bass out of them. You would still have full metastability of the seat. I have heard some that sound pretty good. As long as your just looking for sound quality and not the ability to shake the whole truck with bass then that would be your best option. Some of them are all ready amped and others you can hook up and external amp to them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals