• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rookie gears question

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So, when I'm calling junkyards and asking for gears the first place I talk to asked me if wanted the carrier as well. I have no idea what that means. Is the carrier the centre section of my axle?

I have an 07 sport 4x4, D35 and 8.8. A yard here has an 07 FX4 with 4.10's in it same axles...

Do I need the carrier or just the gears? What if the new one is LS vs. my current is open?

I thought I knew what I needed until he fired me that question.

And

Does $700.00CAD sound reasonable for front and rear with the carriers? I expected it to be less than that....

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you are going to get them, you want the complete axle assembly, carrier and all.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
That sounds like a butt load to me, but I paid 200 for gears shipped to me, got them from Metal Macguyver, Just can't wait for them to get in.... But my axles are different and the gears are probably more used than your vehicles, I would say they are too much but my truck is way old!... and I'm kinda cheap.:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals