• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rough, fluctuating idle

MSTWNTD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My friend and I are fixing and building his 2001 Ranger 3.0. We have most of the issues resolved, but still, a few remain. The real bugger right now is a rough, fluctuating idle that surges when it is cold. I suspect a vacuum leak, but I have tested with propane and brake cleaner and have found nothing. My best guess is leaking intake manifold gaskets. I hooked up a vacuum tester and it read 15 in mg (kinda low) that slowly rose to 20 after idling for about a minute. Does anyone suspect the same? I am wide open to feedback. I am tired of guessing.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Hows the idle air control valve look?

MSTWNTD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hows the idle air control valve look?
We cleaned it with throttle body and air intake cleaner and replaced the gasket after making sure the mating surfaces were clean. The idle is higher when it's cold and it raises when the AC kicks on so it appears to be functioning properly. We also cleaned the throttle body. Forgot to mention a few other things that we did- spark plugs, wires, coil, and pcv valve. We didn't document anything so I may be forgetting some others. There are also no codes and no check engine light. I wish I had a way to read live data so I could look a the fuel trims.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Im not a 3.0 guru but does it have an EGR valve? I know the later 2.9s didnt so im not sure about the 3.0.

Also have you tried pulling any codes?

MSTWNTD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Im not a 3.0 guru but does it have an EGR valve? I know the later 2.9s didnt so im not sure about the 3.0.

Also have you tried pulling any codes?
We cleaned the valve, replaced the gasket, and unplugged the vacuum line from it with no change that I could notice. Refer back to my previous comment about the codes. I edited it but it probably didn't update while you were typing yours. Sorry, I'm new to the forum.

MSTWNTD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
We also replaced the air filter and cleaned the MAF sensor.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I wouldnt *think* itd be an intake gasket. Just based on the fact the vaccuum comes up to normal. I dont think a bad gasket would do that.

The low vaccuum is prolly due to the bad/low idle. Other then that bud im outta ideas. Someone better with EFI stuff should be along

MSTWNTD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldnt *think* itd be an intake gasket. Just based on the fact the vaccuum comes up to normal. I dont think a bad gasket would do that.

The low vaccuum is prolly due to the bad/low idle. Other then that bud im outta ideas. Someone better with EFI stuff should be along
Okay, thanks for your input!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals