• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SCCA/Nasa Pre-build Help.

Bootz1385

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello all. I have done weeks and weeks of research and now want to hear personal opinion.

The goal: a lowered 2wd maybe AWD Ranger Track truck.

The Ranger: Not bought yet but wanting 98+ for IFS.

The Questions.

1. 2wd or AWD? from what I have researched the transfer case is not geared for Racing in the ranger or Explorer AWD. Leaning towards 2wd.

2. Stock V6 or 302/5.0 swap. I understand the 302/5.0 has a little more HP's and more torque but I am doing Time trial/seat time and won't be competitive for a few years.

3. If V8 Swapped. I have read a ton about the explorer vV8 swap, or do I go older 70's 302 for simplicity and no computers for the trans as I will be using a Manual.

Again I m looking for opinions of those who race or have done the swaps. Again I will not be wheel to wheel racing for a long time and am more looking for easy of maintenance and reliability as I had a kid and now am selling my 05 Mustang GT. So I need this thing to last. I will also be taking the truck all the way to the frame and replacing all wiring, lines and Gauges.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello all. I have done weeks and weeks of research and now want to hear personal opinion.

The goal: a lowered 2wd maybe AWD Ranger Track truck.

The Ranger: Not bought yet but wanting 98+ for IFS.

The Questions.

1. 2wd or AWD? from what I have researched the transfer case is not geared for Racing in the ranger or Explorer AWD. Leaning towards 2wd.

2. Stock V6 or 302/5.0 swap. I understand the 302/5.0 has a little more HP's and more torque but I am doing Time trial/seat time and won't be competitive for a few years.

3. If V8 Swapped. I have read a ton about the explorer vV8 swap, or do I go older 70's 302 for simplicity and no computers for the trans as I will be using a Manual.

Again I m looking for opinions of those who race or have done the swaps. Again I will not be wheel to wheel racing for a long time and am more looking for easy of maintenance and reliability as I had a kid and now am selling my 05 Mustang GT. So I need this thing to last. I will also be taking the truck all the way to the frame and replacing all wiring, lines and Gauges.
When you are building towards a goal like SCCA/Nasa racing, the first thing to do is consult the rules. Ensure that what you want to build will fall into the rule for the category. We can give you all types of advice, but that doesn't mean that we are familiar with the rules in place.

On to your questions:

1) The explorer's AWD transfer case is 1:1 ratio. There is no gear change in the transfer case that is all in the trnasmission and axles. The Explorer uses a 4R70W, but I can't speak to how that transmission performs in a racing application and it wounds like you weren't going to use it anyway. I have heard from Explorer owners that the AWD transfer case is not good for handling a lot of power, so may not be the best choice for racing. All that in mind, the 2wd may be your best option, and coil spring 2wd will be easier to get low and make handle.

2) Consult your rule book to see what is allowed. If you are restricted to stock engines, then the 4.0L SOHC is probably going to be your best option. If not restricted to stock engines, possibly neither. 5.0L would be the easiest engine swap if pulled from the correct explorer for the year of truck being built, but since you are not keeping the auto some of the advantage to doing that is lost. If allowed to swap anything, a newer turbo 4 or six might be a better choice. Can spin up faster, make more power, and lighter weight, all things that might be beneficial in racing.

3) Probablyt depends greatly on what your plans for the truck are. Strictly track vehicle and stripped for weight, it doesn't really matter what you use. Street driven and playing on the weekends, the Explorer setup is going to fit better and can be plug and play with the Ranger's wiring. That means you can keep a mostly stock installation with stock gauges and functioning. You would need to get the Explorer computer tuned for the manual transmission, but you would probably be looking at tuning anyway. Whether you go Explorer style EFI or something else, the Explorer V8's front dress and acessory package is the best fit for a Ranger engine bay.

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
Thought about using HOLLEY sniper system on top of that 302/5.0?
I like it better on my 99 5.0 swap. better than expo ecm managing things

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals