• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

School me on ABS on new bikes

miller time

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 1999
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 duals out the back 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking to get a bike. I was looking at 12 ninja 250 but 14 ninja 300 can come with abs. Is the new abs worth it
Tell me how it works please

Ps thanks

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Absolutely. The ABS is even more important on a bike than a car.

It won't make it un-crashable, but far far easier to brake to maximum without locking a wheel.

Lock the rear, not such a big deal, it's a little squirly. Lock the front in an emergency situation, and you're probably eating tarmac for lunch.

And the new 300 has the extra power that the little 250 sorely needed.

34.95 compared with 25.48 hp

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
get the abs, i had a bus pull out in front of me when I was doing about 15mph, i slammed my brakes on, locked up the front tire, ate pavement. It's been 3 weeks, i'm still off work, been in for xrays 3 times, got a ct scan today, and have appointments with an orthopedic surgeon and my GP in the next week. friday at the earliest is when I will be going back to work, but I doubt that, I drive a tow truck, so it's a physical job, and neither of my hands are in good enough shape to even push down on the ground with my palms, to help me get up when i'm sitting down. my left hand, the palm hurts to put pressure on it, either deep tissue bruising, or a broken carpal bone. right wrist isn't broken, but I don't have full range of motion on it, additionally my left knee is messed up, giant ass lump on it that won't go away, and my right knee has been slowly hurting worse and worse, and i can't stand for all that long because of them

don't be dumb, ABS is WELL worth it, not to mention you'll get bored of the 300 slightly slower than the 250. it will happen

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
ABS on a Bike is a Godsend. If it's optional definitely get it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, ABS on the front brake if available is a "no brainer", get it, period.

On the rear it is fine IF it can be shut off, I like being able to lock up the rear brake in certain riding situations :)

ABS(anti-lock braking system) works by reading the speed of a wheel, it works on hydraulic brakes only.
The hydraulic line to the wheel's caliper/slave will have a valve that the ABS circuit can open and close.
If the wheel speed should suddenly drop, i.e. lock up starting, the ABS opens and closes the valve to release pressure at the caliper, so you will feel a pulsing in the braking as you slow down but won't get a sudden lockup.

On a bike this prevents spills when braking on surfaces where traction changes suddenly, i.e. wet/icy spot, wet crosswalk paint(LOL) or patch of gravel/sand.
ABS can react much faster than you can.

Also a plus, an ABS system will allow you to stop your vehicle faster than without ABS, and maintain control if evasive maneuvers are required while braking hard.
If a front wheel is locked up you loose the ability to turn, in a car or bike

Last edited:

markopolo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it works on hydraulic brakes only.

I agree with every statement except this one. I know for a fact that newer semi's with air brakes have abs. I believe it's a federal mandate but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Never seen air brakes on a bike??

Lever brakes and cable brakes were my reference as not having the ABS option :)

Modern Air brakes(post 1869) work by holding the brakes in the off position with air pressure, so they are truly "fail safe", i.e. if air pressure is lost the brakes come on, and this is why trains and large trucks must build up air pressure in the system before they can move, no air pressure = locked brakes.

Because this is not a direct mechanical braking mechanism, an ABS option could be added.

Last edited:

markopolo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ahh. Yeah. That's is true. Nether have I. That would be a lot of stopping power if you did have air brakes on a bike. It's probably just as crazy as jay leno's jet bike.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
power has nothing to do with it... air brakes aren't more powerful than hydraulic... and in fact, hydraulic brakes are potentially stronger (hydraulic system has no "spring" where as pneumatic does) one of the big reason that trucks use airbrakes instead of hydraulic, is because of the coupling and uncoupling of trailers that run on the same system, and leakage of fluid at that point, where as if you leak some air, the compressor just puts more into it... plus if you get a small air bubble in a hydraulic system, the whole system COULD stop working... air brakes don't like heat, so they fixed that by moving the air pots away from the brakes by about a foot, space isn't limited under a semi truck...

so hydraulic is more compact, and potentially stronger, but air is easier to work with for most heavy duty applications

markopolo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah that's true. I had never thought of it that way. Air is way more versatile and user friendly.

I do know I like the pedal feel of air vs hydraulic and those trucks can sure stop in a hurry for their size.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah that's true. I had never thought of it that way. Air is way more versatile and user friendly.

I do know I like the pedal feel of air vs hydraulic and those trucks can sure stop in a hurry for their size.

oh absolutely, i think the reason the pedal feels different (this is speculative) is that because air has that spring to it, so it's harder to get a feedback through the system, plus it works on a relay type system, where the pedal works a valve, that supplies air to another valve that controls how much air gets to the brakes (IIRC) where as in a hydraulic system, you step on a pedal, that is directly connected to a pluger, pushing hydraulic fluid to the brakes, that's it!

markopolo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh absolutely, i think the reason the pedal feels different (this is speculative) is that because air has that spring to it, so it's harder to get a feedback through the system, plus it works on a relay type system, where the pedal works a valve, that supplies air to another valve that controls how much air gets to the brakes (IIRC) where as in a hydraulic system, you step on a pedal, that is directly connected to a pluger, pushing hydraulic fluid to the brakes, that's it!

I'd buy that explanation. [emoji16]

But back to the original topic, yes if I could get a bike with abs I'd be all in.

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have riden a couple of bikes with ABS and supposedly they are NO different than ones without. The abs kicks in when it 'feels' the tire stop turning as on sand or ice or whatever and it just releases the brake fractionally. There was an off road test on a chevy pu I think it was with 4 wheel abs vs a ford with 2w rear only. The complaint on the test was that the chebby would release on hard downhill sections when it encountered loose sand/gravel pine needles etc and it became scary to the testers. The ford did not release and they said they were more confident in getting to the bottom.

So do you really need abs? that is something only you can answer. If you are a competent ride yes you slightly release brake pressure when you feel the tires lock which is what abs is going to do anyhow. I went through a safety course and there was some sand on the brake course and I did as I just described and the the trainer/evaluator was impressed. So its whatever you feel you need in the long run. I think abs costs more as an option generally.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have riden a couple of bikes with ABS and supposedly they are NO different than ones without. The abs kicks in when it 'feels' the tire stop turning as on sand or ice or whatever and it just releases the brake fractionally. There was an off road test on a chevy pu I think it was with 4 wheel abs vs a ford with 2w rear only. The complaint on the test was that the chebby would release on hard downhill sections when it encountered loose sand/gravel pine needles etc and it became scary to the testers. The ford did not release and they said they were more confident in getting to the bottom.

So do you really need abs? that is something only you can answer. If you are a competent ride yes you slightly release brake pressure when you feel the tires lock which is what abs is going to do anyhow. I went through a safety course and there was some sand on the brake course and I did as I just described and the the trainer/evaluator was impressed. So its whatever you feel you need in the long run. I think abs costs more as an option generally.

This is not intended at slamming you down, but I must disagree with you on your first sentence. You mention you've ridden a few bikes with ABS and they are supposedly no different? With hopes that I will open your eyes on this matter I give you:

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Features/RideReports/AntiLockBraking.aspx

AND a more practical demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zv3Sacl7JQ

Not a single human is a competent rider at all times. If you had the ABS, that one single moment when you have a lapse of judgement/make a mistake, it remains vigilant. Helmets and riding gear cost a little more as an option too. We can argue that to avoid a motorcycle completely you avoid bikes altogether, but ABS is an option that'll add a large measure of safety via added control without removing the motorcycling experience. Being in control is what makes us safe on a bike right?

I love hearing those guys that claim they had "to lay their bikes down" in order to prevent running into their buddies. I never understood why those guys would ride right next to each other in the same lane, never wear helmets, and then throw their bike down to "stop faster" instead of keeping rubber in contact with the road to slow down faster. Cuz metal on tarmac would slow you down faster, right?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Yes, I would have to disagree as well, world of difference with front ABS on a bike, night and day difference in stopping on variable traction surfaces, and even on dry pavement.

I would also like to read that 4x4 testing of 4 wheel ABS.
ABS does not ever prevent you from stopping on any surface at any angle.
I agree Chevy sucks, lol, but not the front ABS when going down a steep grade with a loose surface, in fact it is better because you can still turn without the worry of locking up a front wheel too early.

ABS came from professional drivers and their tactic of pumping the pedal while braking to prevent lock up.
I honestly can't think of any driving situation where ABS would have a downside.

Rear ABS on a bike is nice to turn off so you can lock up the back, but that's a fun thing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals