• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

seeking info

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
have an 88 2wd ranger. axle is '84' 345 ratio. on the highway it cruises at 65 comfortably but is straining a little at 70. it doesn't like doing 75, which is usually the right lane speed here in tampa
my questions; will any 7.5 diff fit in my axle housing, irregardless of the source( ranger , aerostar, explorer, et al) ? if i find a limited slip diff, will it fit? if i go to a 373 ratio, am i going to get a bit more highway speed (i think it would be at the cost of slower acceleration)
i have the 2.9 with automatic. both are scheduled for rebuild later this year. the plan is maybe a mild cam for more hp but nothing outrageous

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes, and 7.5 carrier will go into your housing.

But, going to 3.73 gears won't help your highway speed issues. It will make it worse. A numerically higher gear ratio is a lower ratio, so more accel, less top speed. The sad reality of things for you is that your truck was never really meant to go much past 55. That was the national speed limit in the 80s, and that was about as fast as the people designing it ever thought it would need to go. That's why there is a little red box around 55 on your speedo. If you want to do a gear change you need to look for something like 3.27, or 3.08 which I don't think they made for a 7.5.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The biggest thing working against a 1st gen is aerodynamics. How fast could you push a piece of plywood into a 70mph headwind?

Either way, id hold off till you rebuild it. Im going to guess its on the tired side, any 2.9 i ever had had no problem runnin 75-80.

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
okay, info is what i asked for, any 7.5 will fit my housing but i need a 308 (code 82 to go faster- the only ratio listed that is lower than my 343 . if i can find a D2 in a B2, i will jump on it just 'cause i want the posi in case i go north in the winter
as to rebuilds, the ammco shop screwed my on my 95 ranger trans so i won't go there. and it was sub'd to global power train so i will never buy a motor or trans from them i priced rebuilding the 95 (2.3) a few years ago and it came out around $1200. i've rebuilt plenty of motors over the years and it has lost it's fun aspect. fortunatly, with an 89 parts truck i can redo that motor at leisure and still drive the 88

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals