• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sell or drive

Ranger1991

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I drive a '91 Ranger. I have put 10 years and a lot of work into making it look good. I get lots of compliments. Two people have tried to buy it, but it's not for sale. I suggest you keep yours and enjoy fixing it up.View attachment 31043
Your truck looks AWESOME!!! I think I’ll continue driving this one. It doesn’t really need any fixing up just a good wax job.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
It was in a garage. We’d run it a little in the summers but that was about it. According to my uncle, even the tires are original. (I had them looked at by a guy at the local tire shop and he said they don’t show any cracking so go ahead and drive with them)
Your local tire guy is full of poo poo. You do not want to drive on tires that are almost 30 years old. No cracking dosen't mean a thing on tires that old. Even if garaged, tires/compound will deteriorate over time.
IIt's just not worth risking your truck on those oldies. A set of OE size tires for everyday use won't break the bank. Heck, I wouldn't even use a tire that old for a spare.
In addition, the rubber valve stems are probably shot as well.
And, if they are the original tires, over the years of sitting in Pa, hot/cold cycles have possibly built up moisture maybe causing rims to rust.
My 2009 only had 23,500 miles on it when I got it in March. Still had the original tires on it and they "looked: good. Second day I had it, it got new tires.
Just be on the safe side and get some new shoes.
Grumpaw

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Your local tire guy is full of poo poo. You do not want to drive on tires that are almost 30 years old. No cracking dosen't mean a thing on tires that old. Even if garaged, tires/compound will deteriorate over time.
IIt's just not worth risking your truck on those oldies. A set of OE size tires for everyday use won't break the bank. Heck, I wouldn't even use a tire that old for a spare.
In addition, the rubber valve stems are probably shot as well.
And, if they are the original tires, over the years of sitting in Pa, hot/cold cycles have possibly built up moisture maybe causing rims to rust.
My 2009 only had 23,500 miles on it when I got it in March. Still had the original tires on it and they "looked: good. Second day I had it, it got new tires.
Just be on the safe side and get some new shoes.
Grumpaw
Not to argue but....

If it holds air for more then 12 hours....its a good tire in my book.

I have had exactly 3 blowouts my whole life. Not counting trailers.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Not going to argue with ya rusty, but,
take it from a retired cop who was a traffic homicide reconstructionst for 8 years...
30 year old tires are not safe.
Just because it holds air, dosen't mean it is still "ok" at 65 mph.
And, answer this one question, truthfully....
Would you let your wife/kids/grandkids travel in a vehicle with 30 year old tires on an xway at 60-70 mph ?
To each his own...
Grumpaw

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Rusty's horse is usually a slightly different color.

If I was going to do any type of commuting with it... I would put new tires on it.

Ranger1991

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi!! I have a 1991 4 cylinder Ranger that only has 16,000 original miles. Everything on this truck is original except the front brakes and the battery. Just wondering if this truck is worth trying to sell or if I should just drive it around and enjoy it. Any thoughts???
IMG_0069.jpg
IMG_0070.jpg
IMG_0069.jpgIMG_0070.jpgIMG_0072.jpgIMG_0073.jpgIMG_0074.jpgIMG_0075.jpgIMG_0076.jpgIMG_0077.jpgIMG_0078.jpg

Ranger1991

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It took a while but I finally got some pictures of the 91 ranger.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A RED Ranger with a RED interior, it just does not get any better than that

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As sharp as that is you'd get a pretty penny for it in the right auction. If you drove it this summer and had no problems the seals are likely still good.
My mom got a 64 Rambler in that kind of shape once for $400 from some friends of theirs after they had learned she was needing a car. They had bought it simply for a spare car and had left it in their garage so long they'd almost forgot they'd had it. We drove it a long time around home and I had moved off somewhere and she had a wreck coming in after dark one night and ran off the road trying to dodge a possum or something, tore em both up pretty bad :/

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
That is definitely a keeper!!! Looks like it is a totally original "base" truck, right down to the radio delete plate and lack of any switches on left side of dash.
Put some new tires on it (maybe keep the old ones in storage) and enjoy it. Would be a hit at any cruise in or truck show.
It's value is in it's originality and condition as a survivor, so I wouldn't add anything to it. Keep it in the family.
Very, very nice.
Grumpaw

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Interesting that it has that tailgate on it. I thought by 1991 all the tailgates came with the stainless panel on them.

It certainly is a base model. As base as a base model can get.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That's a keeper, for sure.

Ranger1991

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Manual
That is definitely a keeper!!! Looks like it is a totally original "base" truck, right down to the radio delete plate and lack of any switches on left side of dash.
Put some new tires on it (maybe keep the old ones in storage) and enjoy it. Would be a hit at any cruise in or truck show.
It's value is in it's originality and condition as a survivor, so I wouldn't add anything to it. Keep it in the family.
Very, very nice.
Grumpaw

I'm pretty sure the only things that were added to the truck were the cover on the bed and the cow catcher in the front.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
It's very possible that they were dealer "add ons". Back then it was common practice for dealers to add on accessories, even if they were not "Ford" parts.
Dealers would have direct business contact with vendors in the area to provide simple bolt on accessories.
Not saying thats what happened to yours, but possible. The underside of the cover should have a tag somewhere indicating manufacturer and part/item #. A bit of research should turn up date of manufacturer and possibly if company is still in business. Can possibly narrow down when it was made/installed.
Either way, enjoy your survivor. I wouldn't "baby" it, but if mine, I would not modify it at all. It is only "original" once. If you decide to "play" with it and do some add-ons, make sure you keep any original parts you remove. Never get rid of any original parts from a rig that old, in that condition.
Grumpaw

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals