• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Setting Initial Timing

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
Does this look like the correct rotor and housing position for beginning to set the timing?

Also the shop manual says to have cylinder #1 on compression stroke, but didn't say whether it should be as soon as the intake valve closes or at TDC.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
#1 TDC 0deg compression stoke is the starting reference point for all engine timing

Distributor placement is more about TFI module clearance from firewall when engine is installed, same for older Vacuum advance distributors, you need to be able to rotate the distributor a bit to set timing with engine running, so you want it where TFI module/connector won't hit anything when you rotate it, i.e. firewall, valve cover, carb or linkages

This thread has drawing of distributor placement showing tabs and firing order on cap: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_8L_Performance.html
Scroll down

You may want to clean up the crank pulley, but from the looks of engine now it probably is already cleaned up :)
Nice work
And then mark pulley for 10deg BTDC if it can't be seen easily now, 12deg BTDC is what most prefer

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There should be two score marks cut into the dis stem. With the crank at TDC the rotor should point directly between them. If you center the rotor on the one farthest counter-clockwise it should place the rotor centered (more or less) when it is in the whole way. TFI plug should point out straight and parallel to the back of the valve cover. This will put you almost spot on, and give you the room to make any wanted adjustments.

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
Thank you, I believe I have it now. I set cylinder #1 at TDC visually through the spark plug hole, the timing pointer was right at the 0 mark on the crank pulley, and the distributor slid in pointing exactly at the #1 post.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Mine was pointing in roughly that direction. I'd pay attention to the vanes passing through the gate. When a vane is centered in the gate, it will fire.

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
Mine was pointing in roughly that direction. I'd pay attention to the vanes passing through the gate. When a vane is centered in the gate, it will fire.
Right, it's right on the money. Just a little turn of the housing should tune it in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals