• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shielding tape for spout wiring?

RiverRoadInfidel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.9
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Could someone tell me what type of shielding tape I need to re-wrap the spout/PIP wiring from ICM to ECM? Some of the tapes I've seen online are rather expensive so I want to be certain I'm buying the right type. Also, there is a small braided cable that wraps around the 3 wires in the harness. Is this supposed to connect to anything point to point or does it serve another purpose within the harness? I'm trying to track down a code 18 and it's driving me nuts! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
any type of thick aluminum foil will work, it has to be electrically conductive.

first run a bare stranded copper ( or stainless ) wire the length of the SPOUT harness, do a slow loose wrap.
leave one end open/unattached. connect the other end to a good ground.
then wrap the harness with foil, then wrap with a protective layer. electrical tape or the plastic flexible stuff.

the foil does the shielding, the bare wire drains off any spurious currents the shield picks up.
only one end should be grounded.

you can also do a foil double wrap with the wire sandwiched between the layers of shield.

RiverRoadInfidel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.9
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
any type of thick aluminum foil will work, it has to be electrically conductive.

first run a bare stranded copper ( or stainless ) wire the length of the SPOUT harness, do a slow loose wrap.
leave one end open/unattached. connect the other end to a good ground.
then wrap the harness with foil, then wrap with a protective layer. electrical tape or the plastic flexible stuff.

the foil does the shielding, the bare wire drains off any spurious currents the shield picks up.
only one end should be grounded.

you can also do a foil double wrap with the wire sandwiched between the layers of shield.
Thanks, Ron! Would Reynolds Heavy Duty Foil, cut into strips to facilitate wrapping and sprayed on the backside with adhesive suffice? I was worried that the braided wire wrapped around the spout and two other wires in the little plastic harness didn't connect to anything and stopped about 6" short of the ICM. Hopefully, I'll find it grounded where it ends at the ECM. Thanks for your help!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Would Reynolds Heavy Duty Foil, cut into strips to facilitate wrapping and sprayed on the backside with adhesive suffice?

One long strip would be best. Reynolds HD Foil would be fine, and I don't see the adhesive as being needed. Just do a nice electrical tape final wrap over everything.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There is aluminum foil tape meant for ducts. Kinda pricey to use for just 2 feet but if you have a use elsewhere....

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, Ron! Would Reynolds Heavy Duty Foil, cut into strips to facilitate wrapping and sprayed on the backside with adhesive suffice? I was worried that the braided wire wrapped around the spout and two other wires in the little plastic harness didn't connect to anything and stopped about 6" short of the ICM. Hopefully, I'll find it grounded where it ends at the ECM. Thanks for your help!
Make sure you DO NOT ground the shield on both ends. Only on the ECM end of the harness. If you ground it on both ends, you can create a ground loop and make things worse. A ground loop is basically where one end is a better ground than the other. So if you tie them together, you will get small currents running through the shield, and this makes the shield noisy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals