• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shifter knob replacement

rxctrs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
The knob on my shifter has been rotating slowly for about 10 years, and this past spring it just decided to come off in my hand, mid-shift. The plastic insert had finally cracked apart completely, and a few pieces came out, so I decided I like the original one which is now nice and shiny, and I ordered a new one from Ebay for about $17, shipping included.

It just arrived and looks like new, with a pebbly texture that will only take 20 years to rub smooth, so I took it out to the truck, figuring that this would be a very simple repair, but the damn thing won't go over the splines. I pushed hard, and even got out my trusty rubber mallet to give it a few whacks, but it doesn't want to seat on the splines. It looks like the interior does not have any preformed splines - evidently it makes its own when you push hard enough.

So, my question is, how hard do you have to push on this thing to seat it it? I am an engineer with a long history of "hit it harder to make it work", but I don't want to crack that nice new plastic piece on top. I am looking for suggestions about how hard to hit it, and with what. Should I try to pry the top piece off before I whack it?

All suggestions are welcome...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Heat it to soften the plastic?

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
Either heat it, or add a bit of lubrication. You made sure the number of splines of the knob are the same as the original?

Also, what kind of engineering? Mechanical? I'm also an engineer, so that motto wouldn't work for me as a lot of people would be unhappy something broke.

rxctrs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Either heat it, or add a bit of lubrication. You made sure the number of splines of the knob are the same as the original?

Also, what kind of engineering? Mechanical? I'm also an engineer, so that motto wouldn't work for me as a lot of people would be unhappy something broke.
There are no splines inside the knob. It is smooth plastic all the way down. The old one looks like the splines were formed when it was pressed into place. Heating the spine with a torch might work. I don't think that lube would do the trick - the knob does not seem to want to mate with the spline in any way - it is like it is hitting a hard stop. It is difficult to measure the plastic because it is so far down inside the knob, but maybe I can figure something out.

In my profession (nuclear), we don't hit stuff, unless it involves a very carefully calculated, calibrated and expensive device, and LOTS of training, practice, experience and supervision. However, I also have my own boat and do lots of stuff around the house, so it turns out to be necessary and appropriate for those applications. I have broken stuff, but the boat has never sunk, and I have never broken anything really expensive. Wisdom comes from experience - experience comes from a lack of wisdom.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I would drill it to the next drill bit size smaller than the splined shaft and then use a 2 part epoxy to hold it on the lever.. That way you have a slight interference fit as well as the epoxy to hold it secure. Just a small enough hole in the knob where it could be forced on by hand.

rxctrs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I would drill it to the next drill bit size smaller than the splined shaft and then use a 2 part epoxy to hold it on the lever.. That way you have a slight interference fit as well as the epoxy to hold it secure. Just a small enough hole in the knob where it could be forced on by hand.
That is a good suggestion. I figured out last night that I must have enough drill bits in the house to figure out the size of the hole, and I can measure the spline, and then I will likely take your advice. It will get the new knob firmly attached, hopefully for 20 more years.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
You could probably use any glue you like to be honest. Using very little of it might also be a good idea, so if you ever need to remove the knob in the future, you can just pull and brute force it off again. If it comes off when driving, no big deal, just glue it again.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it is close to fitting get a cup of hot water and let it soak for a bit. Carefully remove it from the water and it might have expanded enough to fit tightly when it cools down.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
For that matter, just toss it in a pot of boiling water for a minute. Carefully run out to the truck with it and just push it right on.

rxctrs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I can report success. I discovered that a 5/8" drill bit fit EXACTLY into the larger section of the hole in the bottom of the knob, but stopped when it hit the part that is supposed to be pressed on to the spline. It is probably about 1/16" smaller. I gently used the drill bit to make a very slight chamfer on the spline section, and then used a rubber mallet to whack the knob, and VOILA!, it took the spine!. A few more hits with the rubber mallet to seat it a bit more and I now have a new knob installed on the shifter. Not perfectly aligned, but I think I understand the shift pattern by now.<g>

Thanks to all for your suggestions and I hope that someone else can benefit from this experience.

TikiX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7”
Tire Size
35”
Hey, could you post the link to the ebay knob? I’ve been looking for a OEM style to replace spinning knobs on both my trucks, and the ones I see online look like junk.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Ford changed the style of the knob sometime in the '00s ('04 maybe?), OEM ones like these still seem to be easily obtainable (and will fit the older truck shifters)...

However none of the style used on '90s trucks with the plastic shift pattern insert showed up for me (not any new or NOS ones anyway). You may just have to keep checking ebay from time to time to see if anyone lists something.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals