• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shock stud extenders

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So, I'm trying to restore some down travel to my front end after my torsion twist has eliminated it.

One option I've been pondering is putting in a spacer at the top of the shock to extend it down a little further.

The other one, I just came across these on Ebay:

Shock stud extenders, they do just what the name implies, extend your shock stud to push shock down, compensating for some lift.

Anyone ever use these? I know what I think of them but before I say anything I wonder if what some other people think???

Here's the product:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Shock-Stud-Extender-w-3-8-x-16-Thread_W0QQitemZ250184752352QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

pyro4fun

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
small
Transmission
Manual

rangerT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
^^^^^those two are the same idea.....awesome find Chris i was making a little spacer at work but if it doesn't work i am definatley gettin those from ebay.....cheers

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Those should work pretty well.

ckblum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I think instead of using the stud extenders you could use those stud to eye adapters and it would drop the mount a bit too plus you could upgrade your shocks to the eye ends = more choices. But I guess you are keeping the shocks you have on now so yea go for whatever one fits better, if you plan on changing shocks might as well get the adapter though.

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So after some thought the stud extenders completely will not work.

I put spacers in today to lower the shock 3/4". I'm testing it shortly and then I'll have to check my cv angles and I'll post back with some results...

rangerT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i just did mine this aft. and i'll take some pics for you.....i think that it works i am not sure yet as i haven't taken over any large bumps yet.:dunno:

dzk007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Better idea is to buy the right length of shock. What happens when you compress the suspension all the way and the shock bottoms out?

rangerT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Better idea is to buy the right length of shock. What happens when you compress the suspension all the way and the shock bottoms out?
if you know of where one can get them let us know as so far there was only procomp that makes it for a 2-3" lift....need more choices suggestions....pretty limited to options

i think that the spacers did the trick for me as it seems to handle the larger bumps very smooth now...the truck isn't here right now but i'll snap some shots later:yahoo:

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If there was ever a chance of that happening I would be worried but with thee lack of movement the torsion bar front end I don't think it will ever come close to bottoming out.

I'd rather do the shocks but I can't seem to get a straight answer on what shock I'd need and no-one makes a shcok that they'll say will work for a 4x4 Ranger with a 2" lift. Probably because of the stud mount on the top but I don't know.....

dzk007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would try Desert Rat and go to the counter. You probably will not find what you need surfing the web. I took measurements when I built my Bronco2 and went to the store because of the same problem. Most 4X4 stores can cross index from dimensions and will gladly do so. I found Rancho's RS5000's that fit my application but I will be looking for Bilstiens next time....

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
i think that the spacers did the trick for me as it seems to handle the larger bumps very smooth now...the truck isn't here right now but i'll snap some shots later:yahoo:
...and nobody believed me. :icon_cheers:

They only have 6" at best of suspension articulation, and thats with the sway bar disconnected. I doubt it would bottom the shock out. It would hit the bumpstops before then.

I have searched around and havent found any shocks that are listed as 1-1.5" lift. As said before, you might try looking for the shock specs of each manufacturer to find a close match. I havent gotten around to doing much of that yet.

btw, shock stud extenders wont work because alot of them arnt long enough to reinstall the bushing/washer on top. And if they are, it more than likely will result in a shock thats 3" longer than stock and will risk the chance of over-extending the balljoints/cvs.

Last edited:

rangerT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
^^^^awesome man!!!!!....thanks for the idea.....:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It also occured to me that if we did find a shock with a 2" longer stroke it would be at risk of overextending the cv's if it has that much downtravel.

To mantain safe cv angles the shock should not be extended more then about 3/4"-1" or so. IMO.....

I love the ride with my 3/4" spacer in it, just like the day I bought it but with the added height......

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well today i blew apart my d-side front cv and the truck is at the dealership. I attempted to use stock height 03 fx4 f150 shocks in my application. with the torsion keys jacked all the way up. on the beach surf fishing in low range 4 i had the wheel cut 3/4 of a turn going up a dune and it grenaded. the outer joint blew the cup apart and grease/ball's/bearings/ and a peice of hte shaft came out. not cool in a state park with the cops driving around. Either way my cv's were at 11* at ride hight and 13* at full extension. at this pont the upper balljoint was the limiting factor and i was going to put limiting straps on the truck this week to keep from bending arms. i sucessfully made it 24 miles before the cv angle and the turned wheel plus some heavy foot blew it apart........ can we say warrenty experiment

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals