• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shran's '86 Build

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I was looking a few years ago nothing was cheap other than direct replacement.

I finally got mine to seal so I don’t want to rock the boat.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Knock on wood... I think I got it! Maybe it was the full 36 hour cure time on the RTV that was key but I ran it for 20 minutes last night and it hasn't leaked a drop.

I may look at replacing the housing anyway if there's one threaded for a temp sensor. A quick look last night revealed a bunch. I have that stupid T fitting in the lower intake where the heater hose connects to and the temp sensor screws into that. The T fitting itself is 3/4 diameter so I have to use a piece of 3/4 hose and a reducer to get down to 5/8... it would be nice to have just a 5/8 barb fitting there to shorten up the whole assembly.

Clutch seems to be working better, a drive around town will confirm that.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you have the 90* housing or the other one?

Mine is the 90*, I can never remember if the application for the one with the port is for a SN95 Mustang or Explorer but the thermostats are different between them too.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Nope... mine's the 45* housing. I think it came with the engine (89 Crown Vic) but it's been a while and I may have robbed it off something else.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Haven't really wheeled this truck in a couple years so I figured I'd take it to our club event again this year. I trail gunned on Iceman (6/10 trail, moderate difficulty) on Friday, led it on Saturday and then my wife took it out on Sunday for the girl's run. Performed well enough but I destroyed a front RCV axle shaft on Friday:

KIMG1475.JPG

And destroyed the lockout hub, and the spindle bearing...........
KIMG1478.JPG

It was on this obstacle (not my truck obviously) which is not particularly difficult, I just had the wrong line on it, my cab corner got hung up on the big rock, tried to drive up the wall further because I couldn't hear my spotter, then almost tipped over when he told me to keep driving forward :ROFLMAO: Had to winch out, remove the axle shaft, drove back to town and fortunately I had a spare and O'Reilly had a spindle bearing. Back on the road for the rest of the weekend.
IMG_20160709_124109325.jpg

My buddy broke the passenger side tie rod end somehow - just sheared off right by the jam nut. Weird place to break but he had a ready welder so a quick burn back together had him rolling again.
KIMG1473.JPG

Everything squeaks and rattles and makes weird noises but it was noticeably worse after Saturday. Somehow all four leaf spring bushings have mostly evaporated? Very odd, they are only 6 years old and still have the stickers on them.

KIMG1482.JPG

Also used the crap out of my new M18 inflator. It's perfect for airing up back at camp... one 8ah battery is enough to air up four 35's and four 33's from ~15psi to 30. It will fill a dead flat 35" tire to 30psi in 6 minutes.
KIMG1458.JPG

All in all it was a really good weekend. We were at a new campground that everyone was nervous about but it worked out extremely well. I had a blast running my favorite trail, my wife had a lot of fun except the almost tip over moment and she actually did some crawling down a sketchy section unbeknownst to me while I was spotting some other people haha. Truck needs a lot of repairs - hopefully I will have time this winter to mess with it.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Warn won't warranty my broken hubs so I picked up a set of these babies. Spendy but not much else out there besides drive flanges for a 30 spline D44 application. The old Ford hubs of this design were bad ass, I'm sure these will be even better.

338588543_160356883619439_8644785073399703681_n.jpg

In other news I did a bunch of maintenance that was way overdue, which included:

- C bushings
- All four leaf spring eye bushings
- Pulled a bunch of dents out of the cab that were messing with the door strikes
- Wired in a couple new rock lights
- Add-a-leaf on the driver's rear to fix a leaning truck issue
- New power steering pressure hose
- Fixed rear brake hoses that were ripped off their mounts
- New brake master cylinder, I have working rear brakes now for the first time in almost 15 years
- Fuel injectors sent off & cleaned
- Replaced throttle body with one that doesn't stick
- Redid the upper heater hose fitting, Dorman makes one that is angled instead of straight up, huge improvement
- Moved the front clip over about 1/2" so that the body panels line up better and the hood closes straight
- ^ that required me to move the inner cooling fan over slightly
- Replaced the RCV outer shaft that I broke + the "bell" part of the CV joint that RCV made me swap out
- Replaced both driver's side wheel bearings, cleaned & repacked the passenge side
- Cleaned and fixed the Warn hubs that are being replaced
- Swapped out the distributor to rule out a squeaking noise, didn't help
- Cleaned up & painted my spare fuel tank w/ galvanized spray paint, swapped that out and installed a new rollover valve grommet and lock ring seal
- Built a better fuel tank skid plate out of two stock skid plates sandwiched together plus some reinforcements
- Organized my tool box and replaced a few things I either used or lost

Small things left to do. Hopefully I don't let things get this bad again, I've been making a list of things to do "later" for years and it feels good to be somewhat caught up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals