• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shudder when pulling away from a stop. Common problem? 2005 4X4, SC, 6', Auto, 4.0

Sternwheeler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
When I pull away from a stop sign gently my truck shudders like something heavy slid to the back and struck the tailgate. If I give it gas with my foot clamped on the brake, nothing. Has anyone else had these symptoms? A very good mechanic in my area only found some play in the telescoping section of the driveshaft and was not confident that it could be causing the sensation. (He drove the vehicle as well, of course.) With the symptom shrouded in mystery, I don't know which help section to use in the forums.

Rooster

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Is it a shudder or a “thump”? The driveshaft could definitely cause a thump. I’ve had it in a Ranger and an F-150, it’s very common with the F-150s. Ford put out a TSB on it, 12-7-13.

Sternwheeler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Is it a shudder or a “thump”? The driveshaft could definitely cause a thump. I’ve had it in a Ranger and an F-150, it’s very common with the F-150s. Ford put out a TSB on it, 12-7-13.
Shudder. I realize my "object sliding in the bed" analogy doesn't hold up. There are two or three small sensations in less than a second.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals