• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

slow warm up time?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Did the previous owner remove the thermostat?

The stock gauge is next to useless for diagnosis. Use a mechanical gauge. Do you really know it's overcooling, or is the electrical system overcharging?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
From what I can see.. nothing has been modified by the pervious owners.. why would someone remove it? is that something that is done on the rangers? sounds like nothing but trouble.
You're quite correct; it IS nothing but trouble. But quite a lot of people don't understand what a thermostat does and remove it to try to "cure" an overheating problem or "increase cooling capacity." Of course it does neither of those....

michowski

Reaction score
sounds like a bandaid fix to me. I got a 160 thermostat and electric fan, removed the ac so the air goes right on the radiator. Takes about 10 minutes to warm up on the guage. After its been running for a while I still never see the guage go above 1/4. It stays just over then normal range on the guage. I would never run a car without a thermostat. It was designed for a reason and serves a big purpose lol.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
160 deg is too low for EFI. Remove it and put the stock 195 deg back in, or stock up on catalytic converters.

If you're concerned about cooling, put the stock fan back in. If you're trying for power, you're barking up the wrong tree (coolant temperature isn't the same as air charge temperature, especially with an unheated intake).

calypso93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Automatic
FWIW - My 93 4L was running cold. T'stat was stuck open. It took two replacements before one finally decided to work correctly. I used a brand recommended on here. I forgot what it was, but it has been working since 99 or so.

michowski

Reaction score
160 deg is too low for EFI. Remove it and put the stock 195 deg back in, or stock up on catalytic converters.

If you're concerned about cooling, put the stock fan back in. If you're trying for power, you're barking up the wrong tree (coolant temperature isn't the same as air charge temperature, especially with an unheated intake).
Electric fan works a lot better then the stock fan for cooling. Can you explain to me why 160 is to low? Motor gets to temp and with the electric fan im able to control the engine temps very well. Your the first person who told me 160 thermostat isnt good to use.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
No, an electric fan does NOT work better than a correctly functioning stock fan. None of them pull anywhere near the same amount of air.

160 deg is too low because the PCM doesn't go into closed loop until 165 deg. It also does NOTHING for performance but make the piston ring gaps a little bigger and the oil a little more viscous (both bad things if significant).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals