• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Slowly dies...uphill

Vanguy16

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone.

I recently purchased a used 1994 Mazda b4000. I have cleaned the MAF and IPS. I was about to go on a trip a few weeks later and drove about 80 miles or so on mainly flat surfaces with small increases in rise and drops and started to drive up a fairly steeper grade hill. The truck was in 5th gear (manual tranny), and it started to bog down...so much so that no matter of taking the foot off the gas and back in would help, had to lower gears and eventually come to a complete stop. Started on again and now.am going through a mountain pass and this happened twice throughout my trip. I got through the mountain pass and turned around and nursed her home. There's goes the reliability factor...considering I had MANY more miles to go and now don't have the slightest confidence going anywhere far.

Ideas? Suggestions?

I believe the fuel filter has been changed recently..don't visibly see any hose cracks or degraded hoses...

Vanguy16

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Manual
A quick update would be that I have driven this truck around the city for a few months without any an issue before this...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be fuel filter or pump, "I think fuel filter is new" is not a new filter, $15 to replace, your choice

Could be exhaust is partially blocked, Cat or muffler broken inside, you can test for this with vacuum gauge

Vacuum gauge can also test if engines compression is OK

Read here: https://www.gregsengine.com/using-a-vacuum-gauge.html

$20 vacuum gauge is one of the better tools to have.

No matter how many sensors they add to it, a gasoline engine is STILL a self power AIR PUMP, and you test pumps by testing pressure

Vanguy16

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Manual
If exhaust or cat is, say, damaged in someway or causing this, wouldn't it do it in all gears then?

Thanks for the reply Ron

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It would do when air flow OUT started to back up, so more RPM based, but only under load

If feels similar to "running out of gas", i.e dirty fuel filter

Vanguy16

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Manual
Update: only does it in fifth Gear...

So today I started the truck up and idled it and went underneath and found two pretty small air leaks in the first CAT canister closest to the engine.
Just a small amount of air seeps out under idle.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals