• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Someone tell me im wrong.. please

Brian8118

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I don't think removing the front axle helps. The issue is the engine crossmember. Engine has to be lifted quite a ways to get the pan out. Easier to pull it completely than to lift it and hold it 4 or 5 inches higher than it's normal position.
Believe me, it could be much worse...

It's way more common for the valve cover gasket to leak than the oil pan gasket, and as the valve cover gaskets age they shrink and the bolts get loose, same with the oil pan bolts. Get yourself a 1/4" ratchet, about a foot of extensions and a 8mm or 5/16" socket and go to tightening all the valve cover bolts and oil pan bolts you can see, don't go bonkers, spec is around 5lbft of torque on the bolts. I'm pretty sure it's doable with the engine in the rig by just lifting it as much as you can but I don't think I'd try... There's no way to screw up the oil pan gasket when doing a timing belt unless they messed with the front cover which isn't needed, by the way, tighten those bolts too, they go forward...
Yeah that doesn't make alot of sense when you think about the oil pan gasket deal but honestly It wouldn't have surprised me if it was true bc some of the way ford built some vehicles so I immediately thought the worst bc of working on my truck since I've had it and it began with the stupidity of the entire clutch system from the master to the slave is a horrible design when other makers mounted the slave on the outside of trans pull 4 bolts it's basically replaced ford went a different route there .. then the master is mounted at a angle and can't bleed the system 100% because of it basically got to remove it and bench bleed it and it just doesn't make sense some stuff they did and made it alot more complicated than need be basically so most people won't be able to fix stuff their self so have to pay someone 85/hour to get it fixed . Which is ok if you can pay that but some can't. There are just certain things on a vehicle a person can do their self. They build them like that on purpose and it's way worse now be lucky if you can check your own fluids. I'm not a huge fan of one maker over the other really but since I bought this ranger i have developed a little bit of hate for ford and everything they put out except my little shit box ranger I like for some weird reason I don't wanna give up on it lol no clue why honestly but im gonna keep giving it some love for now anyway.. appreciate the input and one guy mentioned the pcv valve and I'm pretty sure he got it right because the way it's acting. Im gonna check her out tomorrow and hope for the best. The way it's blowing oil out was a new one for me unless it threw a rod but that don't go but one way really and you now something went terrible wrong if that goes down for sure

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Timing belt has zero to do with oiled parts. It's like changing the serpentine belt. How'd the rear seal look when you did the slave cylinder?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You can replace the oil pan gasket on a 4 cylinder with the engine in the truck, BUT, the transmission has to be removed and it's a very tight fit. That's how I did it years ago. I would suggest you look elsewhere for your oil leak first though as almost everyone else said.

No need to go off about how you don't like stupid designs. I am guessing you have never done a timing belt on a PT Cruiser or an alternator on a Mystique. Simple tasks always seem insurmountable to those with few skills or tools... it is simply a waste of time to complain.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
Holy cow, the pt cruiser timing belt. I farmed that one out to a buddy who thought it wasn't bad since he had a neon and had just done that one. He said dont ask him next time, ha ha ha

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Starter went on my S-10 Blazer with 4.3. I'd changed a number of starters so bought new one and went to install.. GM designers cut hole in frame rail to fit it inside - engine needed to be rotated and lifted to replace it. Local garage quoted an hour from the book, so I farmed it out. They didn't make any profit on that one...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals