• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sounds like popcorn popping in my exhaust Bank 1

BL00DPIG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
1997 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 OHV (VIN:X) Mileage:254,000

I had the head gaskets, fuel injectors, alternator, battery ,and coil pack and fuel filter replaced back in November 2018.

Starting about April (2019), it has become hard to start in the mornings. I have to let it turn over a few times...stop...and try again. It immediately starts the second try.
After reaching warmup temps, it would start to "miss" or "stutter" until I drove her a few miles then it would clear up.
I should have gotten her looked at then but no codes where showing and I honestly thought I had more time to get her looked at before I drove her again.

Yesterday a friend's truck broke down while trying to pull his boat out of the water. He called me and I went down with the ole girl and pulled his truck (boat and all) up the ramp into the parking lot. I noticed it took ALOT of effort to pull them out, more than it should have anyway.
On the way home the check engine light came on. The code pulled was P0420.

Since this code pertains to the cat, used my infrared therm to check it. The intake is around 350 and the outlet is around 150. I am assuming the cat is clogged due to the head gasket leak.
Now the engine is "missing" "stuttering" really bad.

I took both O2 sensor out above the cat to relieve some pressure to see if the "miss" would go away, thinking the clogged cat may be causing back pressure. It did not go away. The best way to describe it is, it sounds like popcorn.
It does seem to be only coming from the Bank 1 side. exhaust.

Keep in mind when listening to the mp3 that the O2 sensors are removed. I do not have an exhaust leak as it may sound like it.

Any ideas on where to start?

Last edited:

86merc5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I had a 96 Ranger 4.0 ohc, I put a turbo mounted in the bed over the axle ( factory exhaust was cut were factory routing put it over the axle--front of bed had an under rail tool box--reconnected to factory exhaust after axle ) anyway on a highspeed blast I did pop a headgasket & it sounded like that, I've also heard that sound and it was valve issue. Good luck I hope it's not to bad.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Are you both sure you have SOHC engines... I think they would be OHV.

A lean condition will cause the popcorn popping sound you describe...

BL00DPIG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I do have have the OHV model as stated in my post.

What would cause the lean condition?

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
start with the cat! maybe the cat element is working like a check valve & rattling..as you got a cat code P0420. I don't know, others would probably address this, but removing sensors may not relieve enough pressure and the sensors wouldn't get hot either. Jussayn...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Some some of the functions of this forum software are a bit difficult to use, like edit, and I just recently found out the delete function is missing.

But it's magically back on this thread but not on my threads I get real confused maybe, I'm just getting too old for all this stuff, screenshots don't lie

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A common cause would be a partially plugged fuel injector...

Lean mixtures are hard to lite... if the ignition doesn't get it going in the combustion chamber... that lean mixture is expelled into the exhaust. The still burning exhaust from a companion cylinder will lite it that unburned fuel and cause a pop.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A little off the rails; Back in my youth when cars had carbs, I used to shut the engine off for a few seconds while passing a pedestrian. When I turned the key back on the car would have an enormous backfire....scaring the bejesus out of the innocent. One too many times and blew the muffler apart. That got too expensive.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
A little off the rails; Back in my youth when cars had carbs, I used to shut the engine off for a few seconds while passing a pedestrian. When I turned the key back on the car would have an enormous backfire....scaring the bejesus out of the innocent. One too many times and blew the muffler apart. That got too expensive.
I used to do the same with my 86 Ranger 2.0 5spd. Shut it off and pump the pedal as fast as I could. Then turn it back on, pop the clutch, and POW!! I blew a canister muffler and about 2 or 3ft of exhaust pipe in half doing it once, but it was worth it for the prank. lol Did it while crossing a bridge with high concrete sides while a local girl I was hot for was coming the other direction. I timed it to POP right when she passed by with her windows down. She pulled over thinking she blew a tire or something, and here comes yours truly in an extremely loud Ranger with the exhaust dragging down the highway to help a distressed young maiden. My own backfiring plan backfired on me, because I certainly didn't get in them draws.. :LOL:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
My own backfiring plan backfired on me, because I certainly didn't get in them draws.. :LOL:
I always found that Tequila worked wonders for a way into her heart.... errr ummmm… draws.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Ummm…. been married to long to know about those things.

As stated above... a rich mixture will burn also... expect a bigger bang.

Neither are good for the cats...

If you suspect a plugged cat... put a vacuum gauge on it. It will tell you if it's true.

I would then probably start by taking a fuel pressure reading... then go from there.

As mighty as the Ranger is... pulling a dead Chevy truck (I presume) and a boat up out of a boat launch... depending what it looks like... could be a test.

BL00DPIG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals