• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stuck removing CV from Dana 35

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
Do you need to remove the hub on a 03 Dana 35 (4.0 4wd) to get the CVs out? I am dropping my diff for a rebuild and got to where I can almost pull them but I just don’t quite have enough sway. Will they come out when I drop it?

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic

Here’s a pic. Also... anything else I should replace while I’m here?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I pull the tie rod and lower ball joint out. swings out far enough to pull the stub out. (in)

as it is you may be able to pull the inner joint from the diff and leave the axle assembly in place.
pull hard, there is a clip in the splines that holds the joint in the diff.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've seen threads about those being very difficult due to that clip I suppose and even saved a how to somewhere. It told how to get it out as well as how to fix it going back so you don't have to do it the hard way next time. i'm fairly certain it was in a thread on one of these forums, and if not on this one, not sure it would be ok to post it here.

I've long considered doing my own, and rebuilding the front drive shafts. After I get through the tranny and motor I'll be headed into the front end

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks! I was hoping to avoid the tie rod ends but they look simple enough. I am so close on the inners already but will drop them if needed because I think that would do the trick.

Josh B this diff is very annoying :(. I’ve read you can grind the head of one of the bolts to make it easier to get out but I can’t make sense of it (mine is lifted so it’s also a lot more room down there). No drain bolt either so I am going to try to tap one while it is out. Right now my cover and pinion seal are leaking.

Last edited:

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
I pull the tie rod and lower ball joint out. swings out far enough to pull the stub out. (in)

as it is you may be able to pull the inner joint from the diff and leave the axle assembly in place.
pull hard, there is a clip in the splines that holds the joint in the diff.
I was able to get right side out today and left is enough that it will come out when take the mounting bolts off (didn’t need to take anything else off but the shock so I could get a better grip on the axle. Do you remove the whole frame mount or take out the 3 bolts in the side of the diff?

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
Left side:

Right side:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I was able to get right side out today and left is enough that it will come out when take the mounting bolts off (didn’t need to take anything else off but the shock so I could get a better grip on the axle. Do you remove the whole frame mount or take out the 3 bolts in the side of the diff?

I removed the bolts from the frame mount bushings. I did not have a lift so your method may vary.

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
I got everything out today and it’s not looking too bad on the inside. Now that I know the process it is pretty easy but I wouldn’t want to do it without air tools and I think the lift makes a difference. Does anyone know part # for the outer seals with the big loose rubber edges or what they are called? I circled where they are in the pic but don’t have a closeup and it’s raining now :( (wish I had a garage).

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I picked some up at my local NAPA last year. don't have the # handy.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Napa changed in the last year or so, they're not quite like they used to be. Although I can't tell you the exact differences, just know they have, I mean like whoever thought they'd throw a big sales pitch out there in their parking lot? ;)

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
Found them under axle seals for about $25 a piece, as well as the left axle bearing that didn’t come with the rebuild kit.

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
I am down to everything out but the two outer pieces of the pinion bearings (racers?) and the pass side axle bearing. Everything else required a bearing separator and a big puller. Any idea how to get these last 3 out?

Axle bearing (racer?)

Pinion bearings (racers?)

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The pinion races (not racers) use a flat screwdriver and tap out from the backside.
The axle bearing use a slidehammer and inside bearing puller attachment. Your parts place may have it in a "loan a tool" program.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
What he ^^^ said. Don't just hit the race in one place when you drive it out. Give it a few taps on one side. Then move your screwdriver ( punch, brass/bronze/aluminum rod ) to a point 180 degrees from there and give a few taps. Then back to the first side, etc. You don't want the race to get too crooked when you're removing it. This is especially important for installing the new one. Same for bearing seals. Also be sure not to gouge the machined holes that the races fit into. Any defect that causes the bearing race to be out of round will cause issues with the new bearing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals