• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swap it OR NOT

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Alright,
Been doing some thinking. Ive got a 1992 Ranger with the 2.9 liter with the A4LD transmission and electric transfer case.

Well i blew my engine up on thursday and now i need to fix it. I need little down time. I can wait as long as 2 weeks. In the mean time ive got my 2004 explorer. Anyway, should i just replace it with a new 2.9, or swap in the 4.0?

I was thinking of the 4.0, i know i need the engine, harness, and computer. But one of my main concerns is do i have to re-pin anything? I would like to just bolt the harness in though the firewall and put the computer on the other end and be done. Im not sure if its this simple or not. Never done this kind of swap and it seems like everyones 4.0 swap on here is different when it comes to wiring. Anyone have any clue about this?

ttfiveohranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8 Twin Turbo
Transmission
Manual
tech library

There is all kinds of swap info in the tech library (near top of page link on this forum..).. you could also consider a 5.0 like my truck twin turbo optional.. or a 2.3l turbo.. there is a 4.0l swap info section if you haven't looked yet:icon_welder:

ttfiveohranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8 Twin Turbo
Transmission
Manual
if you've never done an engine swap I would consider getting a friend who has some experience with it to help.. I'm always a sucker for free beer offers.. Its usually a lot of work.. With some research and preparation the difficulty will go down a ton. I suggest getting a good running donor vehicle.. checking the forum to see what bolts up and take lots of pictures of the setups before dismantling..

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
if you've never done an engine swap I would consider getting a friend who has some experience with it to help.. I'm always a sucker for free beer offers.. Its usually a lot of work.. With some research and preparation the difficulty will go down a ton. I suggest getting a good running donor vehicle.. checking the forum to see what bolts up and take lots of pictures of the setups before dismantling..

I'll give you a case of beer for that 302 twin turbo. :icon_cheers:

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how many pounds of boost you pushin.

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
haha, ill give him 2 cases for that matter.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals