• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tdi conversion kit for Ranger. Want one?

RRCdiesel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tdi Conversion kit for Ranger. Want one?

I work for a diesel conversion company, and just out of curiosity, how much interest would there be in a VW tdi kit? Like say a basic tdi adapter and motor mounts, or a complete kit that has everything to just bolt it in, wire it up and drive?
Anyway, we're building one for the shop so I thought I'd see how much interest there would be in a kit. The one we've started with is for the manual
(5spd) trans, but if there were interest in an automatic kit, we would certainly go that direction as well.
Thank you.

Brian

Last edited:

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure a lot like myself will say they are interested but I guess the bottom line will be the cost for the kits. I swapped the 4.0 in my BII and it has more than enough power now but the little VW would be nice for the mileage. December 2015 I will be buying my daughter a new VW TDI Jetta for her college graduation present and will take ownership of her 2003 TDI Jetta so I'll have the engine to swap if a kit was available and priced right. If not the 4.0 BII and dodge cummins will be parked and the Jetta will become my daily driver.

Steve

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
As said, cost of this kit would be the big thing and the selling point of something like this. Allot of people want to go diesel but most work on a tight budget, like myself.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Agreed on price. Simplicity of the kit would matter too along with what parts could be re-used for the diesel version.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd be interested. I just sold a '01 TDi Beetle, with the ALH motor, to buy the Ranger. There's plenty of torque, in that engine, to move the truck around.

Which VW diesel? Plug N Play would be awesome.

To which transmission are you referring? Ford or VW? If it's VW, I'll pass on the auto. If it's Ford, then I'll need an adapter for the 5R44E.

And, yes, price is a concern.

BTW, you're not the news paper carrier that converted a Ranger and posted on Fred's TDi pages, are you?

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
All depends on price. I would love to go diesel in both of my rangers. Especially since my 4.0 is getting tired.

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I would love a cat like this. However, I think the cost would kill it.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
LonesomeSTX said:
I would love a cat like this. However, I think the cost would kill it.
I'm not so sure. It really depends on what the o.p. is willing to fab/provide in the "kit". If it's plug-n-play, it's gonna be pricey. If he just machines an adapter and provides motor mounts, it might not be bad. The key is what VW motor he's adapting and the availability of those engines (either engine only or buying a wreck). If you buy a wreck, you should have the engine and ECM/wiring harness. The one conversion I have read about, the owner also used the VW dash pod because it made things even easier.

So, there are variables here and until we hear back from the o.p., we're kind of whistling in the dark.....as it were...... :cool:

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
You hit the nail on the head. The cost of the conversion kit does not worry me as much as the cost and availability of the engines. If there is an affordable way to make this happen, I am in. But I just do not see how.

RRCdiesel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For sure price is the biggie. Price was why I got the ranger in the first place. I liked it, and I could afford it. I suspect it will come down to two kits, one fairly basic one the provides the stuff that just isn't easy to DIY, like motor mounts adapter plate and maybe even a clutch/flywheel combo recommendation, so for only a few grand (including the tdi) a person could get into a tdi ride. Feel free to suggest what a basic kit should include and we'll see what it would cost. Because we're setup to do adapters, the price should be pretty good.
Thank you!!

RRCdiesel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One thing I forgot, there are also a few reliable tdi importers with reasonable-ish prices that you could source engine and harness direct. In California I think? I'll post it when I track that back down. Or if some one has a source....

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
please contact greengeeker on this forum, he is one of many to do this like yourself, his thread is rather well documented.

myself i would like to see a rbv trans and sbf trans to engine adapter that facilitates a cost effective starter. if i had one of those for the right price installing a tdi in one of mine would be done out of practical application and overall cost effectivness.

adapter for a m50d r1 and or r2 lower then or equal to the one for the jeeps would be a great start.

everything else is cake for me.

http://www.cotybuilt.com/hardware.html

just a plate for 600 bux, i would buy it. and i would happily plug along in a mechannical hybrid tdi b2.

Karbuster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 Mostly....
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6 (for now)
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Curb? What curb, I felt a speedbump
Of there is a nice plug and play kit for the right price I would definitely be picking up another ranger for a dd and doing the swap

posted using smoke signals

green_duck42

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If the price was decent, absolutely.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
RRC: What VW TDi engine are you thinking of using? That would go a long way in determining who is on-board here. I'd be happy with the ALH, I would avoid the PD.

Also, what transmission, Ford or VW? The VW automatics, before the DSG, are not very good.

What about converting the fuel tank and adding the proper fuel filters?

As for suggestions:
1 - Basic kit; motor mounts, adapter plate and perhaps instructions on what to use from a VW TDi.
2 - Upgrade Kit; everything in the basic kit plus the ECM and perhaps VW to Ford adapter harness
3 - Full Boat kit; everything above plus TDi engine

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals