• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TDI Ranger Build

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Looks like you need a larger exhaust pipe to help keep your EGTs down or have it run richer as you get on it.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Looks like you need a larger exhaust pipe to help keep your EGTs down or have it run richer as you get on it.

with the new turbo? i think the drive pressure is lower on it. and i would be surprised if geeker does not have the exhaust where it needs to be or within reason... but i guess such an oversite is possible....but not likely in a dynotuning environment...

none i have been to anyway.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
On my first dyno run I did remove the exhaust pre-muffler (my exhaust is for the most part the stock Ranger exhaust minus the cat) and noticed no change.

I don't necessarily understand your "richer as you get on it" comment. The issue is that I'm running too much fuel for my small turbo and driving the EGTs up.

I most definitely will be upgrading the whole exhaust system when I install the new turbo. When it first gets installed I will have a hood stack for a little bit...you know just for fun . :icon_thumby:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
A larger exhaust system will definitely help.

zx1206

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Can I bring you a Ranger and a Jetta and have you complete the swap?

tjlis2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Can I bring you a Ranger and a Jetta and have you complete the swap?
I second that notion! I have a 03 single cab just begging for a swap like this.

INT3RC3PTOR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
had to check in on this, awesome work on the truck! I stumbled upon one of your youtube vids in string of related vids on there. And not paying attention to the plates on the truck and looking at the landscape I was huh looks like MN. Then I trace you back to this build thread and find out your in Cambridge...right in my damn backyard damn near hah. I would love to maybe do this swap into my B2. rather than take a bunch of time building up a clean 2.9

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
I just read this whole thread lol there's more cool shit in this thread than a frozen septic tank!!!!!!

I love the swap but how is it more expensive than a 4bt both the tdi's and 4bts are in kinda of in short supply around my neighborhood for me to 4bt swap a truck it would cost around 5gs around 3-4 just for the engine of questionable quality then another 2 for all the other goodies but enough of my questions lets see some huge dyno numbers and burnouts!!!!

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
had to check in on this, awesome work on the truck! I stumbled upon one of your youtube vids in string of related vids on there. And not paying attention to the plates on the truck and looking at the landscape I was huh looks like MN. Then I trace you back to this build thread and find out your in Cambridge...right in my damn backyard damn near hah. I would love to maybe do this swap into my B2. rather than take a bunch of time building up a clean 2.9
Very cool. I'd say your profile pic isn't from Isanti! I don't think I've seen you truck around?

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
I just read this whole thread lol there's more cool shit in this thread than a frozen septic tank!!!!!!

I love the swap but how is it more expensive than a 4bt both the tdi's and 4bts are in kinda of in short supply around my neighborhood for me to 4bt swap a truck it would cost around 5gs around 3-4 just for the engine of questionable quality then another 2 for all the other goodies but enough of my questions lets see some huge dyno numbers and burnouts!!!!
I'll have to remember that saying - friggin hilarious. :D

Yeah, the price of good used TDI engines has come down a lot. Fully dressed with all the electronics they're now going for < $1000. I actually did a respectable burnout the other day but unfortunately didn't have a cameraman there to capture it. :headbang:

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Just ran this guy across the scales yesterday. Picture is of the Golf before I stuffed it. 75# in the bags leveled her out and she handled the weight just fine thanks to the trailer brakes.

8540# loaded
5880# truck and trailer
3xxx# (I forgot what the truck weighs by itself....it's somewhere in this thread :dunno:)

Oh, scan gauge showed 25mpg loaded and 35 on the return trip. :icon_thumby:

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've been amassing parts for the install for while but didn't know how everything would fit in the truck until I bolted em up. Well today was the day. I picked up this guy as it seemed like it would move the turbo forward in the engine bay away from my heater box.

As you can see it bolts up but the fit isn't exactly perfect. The downpipe has no chance of not melting the plastic heater box and there isn't much room for the actuator on the fender liner side. I figure I can go two ways with this 1) trim the heater box and put a block off plate on the hole I create 2) modify the manifold to rotate the turbo up and toward the engine.

Here's what that second one looks like:

And here is the difference I'd have to make up with a new outlet flange. Not impossible.

For the longest time I had planned on simply adapting off of a vw manifold so I wanted to see how that fit up compared to the tubular manifold. Overall it is sitting much lower and 1.5" rearward. This would probably work but I'm sure I would have to move my turbo drain line down to the oil pan...something I'd like to avoid.

donfordguy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah the 4BT was considered since I have a couple ve-pumped motors sitting at work (my paycheck has a big C on it :icon_thumby:) but decided to go with the TDI for a few reasons:
1) half the weight
2) MUCH better NVH
3) electronic control of injection quantity and advance
4) better mileage
5) better hp/torque ratio out of the box
6) smaller package size

Of course there are drawbacks
1) more complicated swap if electronic pump control is maintained (you can retrofit an older mechanical pump from a 1.6TD)
2) more expensive
3) less robust block...lower power capability. Period.

Please don't take this as a VW tdi is better than 4BT post. I honestly don't think that. They are two very different motors and are both perfect for use in a Ranger.
So you can put a 1.6 pump is that still going to get about the en some up

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Project update

I made up a couple wood templates to see what angle would work best with the manifold. I then modeled up the adapter profile and matched that angle.

3D printed the model to double check fitment.

Looks like I won't have to touch the compressor outlet. Very lucky!

There is only one spot that the tooling won't able to get to on the inside radius. I'll blend this by hand.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals