• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TDI Ranger Build

4EyedTurd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Badass build, by far my favorite on TRS

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
I've never looked into 3D printing, although we always hear from the grapevine it can do cool shit.

Are you saying the freaking 3D printer can print up a metal object? Not just some plastic piece but an actual piece of quality metal that can withstand exhaust/turbo temps?!?!

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
I simply printed it in plastic. The metal part was machined. There is also sintering metal which is relatively common although not a very cheap method of manufacture.

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Ahh, OK. I was prepared to be amazed at how far 3D printing had come if it could actually somehow print metal objects like that (like a molten steel 3D printer...hey, maybe they're coming). Very cool idea on 3D printing the test piece, I bet that saved a heck of a lot of time.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Another trip to Argentina, another opportunity to covet thy distant neighbor's crew cab Ranger...

Among other awesome trucks that we don't get stateside.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
So what the current HP and torque on this thing so far I haven't gotten a chance to check the thread lately

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
So what the current HP and torque on this thing so far I haven't gotten a chance to check the thread lately
Here is my post on my last dyno. Basically I have too much fuel for this turbo and if I wasn't worried about cooking this turbo I probably would have ended up with ~145whp. If I had a slightly larger turbo (vnt17) I'd probably be around 160-170whp.

With the new turbo and the larger injection pump (11mm plunger) I should end up in the ~200whp range.

Well I finally got a free day to run this back to the same Mustang dyno as I did before. Went pretty well. Didn't break anything.

I did have to stop the pulls short at 3800rpm due to EGTs. I'm not sure where it would have stopped but it appears to be climbing pretty nicely when I shut it down.

Stage 1 = vnt15, Malone tune (16psi), stock nozzles, 10mm pump
Stage 2 = vnt15, updated Malone tune (16psi), R520 nozzles, 10mm pump

A couple of videos..:icon_thumby:
Fuel pressure: https://youtu.be/r8TmdgXDc7c
Axle wrap: https://youtu.be/QQxBJZRj52o
Boost response: https://youtu.be/iI_pv7e_SiY

Last video is from my first run and it appears I stopped a little early (1610F). My third and best run I stopped at 1650F.

Last edited:

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Your whp#'s match malones advertised chp numbers any thoughts on that or is this dyno known to be optimistic?

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Your whp#'s match malones advertised chp numbers any thoughts on that or is this dyno known to be optimistic?
IIRC my buddy said the Mustang we used would trend towards conservative and not optimistic. I REALLY wanted to get a stock truck on the same dyno to serve as a baseline. Until then my dyno numbers are mainly for me to understand the gains made with each performance level.

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Your friend is correct Mustang's should be conservative. You have a jetta right? Why not put that on the rollers? I really don't think that the drivetrain losses would be all that different when comparing 2wd with small tires vs a fwd, a few % at most. It would at least give you an idea as to how the dyno reads.

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I kinda thought of that after I posted that.

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Any progress on having some adapter plates made!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals