• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TDI Ranger Build

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
That's a purrr-dy lake... can almost see the yummy trout, etc. swimming around... :icon_thumby:

INT3RC3PTOR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Very cool. I'd say your profile pic isn't from Isanti! I don't think I've seen you truck around?
late getting back to this!

haha nope, that's from silver lake sand dunes in MI. me and the wife try to get there every summer. been a couple years as that Ranger has been down for a rebuild. You got some cool stuff going down for sure! would love to stuff one of them diesels in my B2 I have recently fixed up. My sickly 2.9 has got to go.

would love to stop by someday and talk shop :)

Last edited:

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic

haha nope, that's from silver lake sand dunes in MI. me and the wife try to get there every summer. been a couple years as that Ranger has been down for a rebuild. You got some cool stuff going down for sure! would love to stuff one of them diesels in my B2 I have recently fixed up. My sickly 2.9 has got to go.

nice looking B2> it would be cool with a diesel in it!:icon_thumby:

coworker has a beatup old B2 diesel 5spd in his shed with all the windows smashed he has been trying to sell me for years. i just don't know what the hell I would do with it. it must be a rare beast, but I have no more places to keep toys>potential toys.

B2 diesel would be an awesome little driver:beer:

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual

Very nice b2. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. You're welcome to swing by anytime. :beer:

Evguy1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My 4L adapter should aslo work fine on the 2.9 and in stock. :)

aadonline

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey Greengeeker, How did your Ford cluster work with ALH. Did you use any converters for Tach, coolant temp etc. I see you have the VW cruise as well. I am assuming you had to use Dakota Digital box to correct Ranger's VSS.

Last edited:

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hey Greengeeker, How did your Ford cluster work with ALH. Did you use any converters for Tach, coolant temp etc. I see you have the VW cruise as well. I am assuming you had to use Dakota Digital box to correct Ranger's VSS.
The early ecu (81 pin) doesn't require the DD box and can connect directly to the Ranger cluster. Same as I did for coolant temp, oil sensor, etc. The 121 pin ecu is different and DOES require the DD box.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
4wd swap planning

Can you 4wd experts help me out here?

Does the 4wd TTB cross member provide more oil pan clearance than the 4wd IFS cross member (and steering rack)?

Jeeprider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
TTB Clearance

I can't speak about the 4wd IFS cross member, but as for the TTB, the ALH I've got sitting in my '95 has ~.5" underneath and maybe ~.25" to the hood. And it really only fits in the engine compartment the one particular way I have it positioned. You might be able to have some more wiggle room if you did an oil filter relocation but otherwise I don't see how you could do it any different than what I have done.

There is plenty of room for the oil pan though. It all sits above the engine crossmember.

I'm on TDI Club as HoneyBadger. I know you've seen my build so far, but here's a link for anyone else whose interested. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=455909

I'd be happy to take some more pictures for you if there was something specific that you want to see.

Justion337

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey Greengeeker! I just joined up here recently, I use the same username on Eurowerks.

Justion337

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Aaaaand I just read through this whole thread, lol.

aadonline

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Can you 4wd experts help me out here?

Does the 4wd TTB cross member provide more oil pan clearance than the 4wd IFS cross member (and steering rack)?
That's my 2002 Ranger XLT 4WD build. Its not complete yet. If you need more pics or info, please let me know.:beer:

Attachments

Last edited:

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
I can't speak about the 4wd IFS cross member, but as for the TTB, the ALH I've got sitting in my '95 has ~.5" underneath and maybe ~.25" to the hood. And it really only fits in the engine compartment the one particular way I have it positioned. You might be able to have some more wiggle room if you did an oil filter relocation but otherwise I don't see how you could do it any different than what I have done.

There is plenty of room for the oil pan though. It all sits above the engine crossmember.

I'm on TDI Club as HoneyBadger. I know you've seen my build so far, but here's a link for anyone else whose interested. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=455909

I'd be happy to take some more pictures for you if there was something specific that you want to see.
Thanks for the dimensions. That helps immensely and it sounds like the IFS and TTB engine bays are very similar in size which makes sense since they housed basically the same engines. Does your truck have a steering rack?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals