• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Temp gauge

Super ranger 01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everybody. I was just wondering if anyone knew why my temperature gauge on my 2001 four wheel drive Ranger is reading really cold way down almost on the C.. it has just started this I was wondering if a sensor is going bad or something.. it's full of coolant everything seems to be normal except it's reading way cold..thanks guys for any input

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
If yours is like mine (also an'01 4.0 4x4), there are two temp sensors on the t-stat housing. Unless I'm mistaken, one of these sensors communicates with the PCM and the other runs the dash gauge. The tuning relies heavily on engine temp to run properly, so it's a good idea to make sure at least the one going to the PCM is functioning properly. If you don't already have one, get a BT OBDII adapter. If you use Android devices download Torque Pro or Forscan from the Play Store. If you're an Apple fan, I think there's a version of Forscan for it, but no Torque Pro. You can then watch real time information on the various sensors and such, right on your phone/tablet. There are other apps that can interface with the OBDII adapter and read and monitor the engine vitals as well. These are just the two I'm most familiar with. If your ECT is reading normal from the PCM, you'll know pretty quick if it's just the gauge sensor or if there are deeper problems.

Anyway, it's likely that either the sensor or the wiring to it is bad. It's a pretty tight hole where those sensors are and the wires are almost wedged into place. It's very difficult to remove them without pulling the upper intake.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

Is the heater still blowing HOT air?

If so then yes the temp SENDER is most likely failing

As said above, on the top of the thermostat housing are TWO temp readers
ECT sensor, is 5volts and used only by the computer
ECT sender, is 12volts and used only by the dash board gauge

So not the same things, and auto parts guys will ALWAYS give you an ECT sensor FIRST, lol
Stress that you want a S E N D E R not a sensor

SENDER will have a red/white and a black/white stripe wire, thats the one you want to change

These are held in place by clips, not screwed in

Good read here on changing the thermostat housing: https://howtoreplacefordthermostathousing.com/

These housings were known to crack and leak when they got older, pictures of the ECT units on 3rd page

If you ground the Red/white wire and turn on the key, the temp gauge should go to HOT, this tests if the wiring is OK
i.e. put a jumper wire between the red and black wires on connector, if gauge goes to HOT then both the red and black(ground) are OK

Last edited:

Super ranger 01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Okay thanks guys thanks for y'all's input I'm going to try those things and see what happens

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals