• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The OBX headers are now AVAILABLE again!

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Guys, after catching back up on the past few posts in my thread here, I still see alot of misinformation that has been commonly confused for years with 5.0 header swaps.

This thread pertains to 1998-2011 CONTROL ARM ranger frames, NOT pre-98 I-BEAM ranger frames. Guys keep saying that tri-y's or shorties pretty much just fit right into a 5.0 swapped ranger, but they are reffering to PRE-98 I-BEAM frames! So if you have a 98+ truck you have to pay attention to the posters year of truck when taking advice about fitment.

Yes there is a 'P' and 'non-P" version of the 5.0 heads which changes the spark plug angles, but that is not all that has to be taken into account, the control arm frames are insanely tight to fit headers, unlike the old i-beam frames that had tons of room to 'easily' make something work.

So please everyone pay very close attention both when posting or accepting information about header fitment that everyone is on the same page about what year/frame the truck has, it is obviously confusing people trying to learn about header use here.

Otherwise the 'Maximizer' brand linked on ebay a few posts up are the OBX headers, same parent company exact same product. They are sitting at $472 +$35 ship today. The prices and availability of the headers have been all over the map in the past few years.

Again if you are 5.0l swapping to a PRE-98 I-BEAM ranger, IGNORE THIS THREAD. In a Pre-98 truck you DO NOT NEED these obx headers, you have lots of other options and room to work with.

These style headers are to work around the tight clearances of the frame rails and steering shaft, and route around the oil pan, and starter for the 98+ Control Arm Frame.

Good luck and keep swapping these 5.0 trucks guys!!!!!

Last edited:

Lanciadave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What about torsion bar trucks?
98 with p heads

Dave

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Torsion bar trucks are Control Arm Trucks.

Everything made from 98-11 weather it be a Coil Sprung 2wd, Torsion Bar 4wd, or Torsion Bar 2wd (Edge) has Control Arms other wise known as the "SLA" (Short-Long-Arm) Suspension.

"P" only changes the angle of the spark plugs, the header to frame fitment is identical if you have P or NON-P heads.

ONLY 97 and Earlier should ignore this thread as there is so much room in an I-Beam frame you can make other universal headers work without much hassle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals