wiggle_wagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 5.0 Explor
Make / Model
Blue 0val.
Transmission
Automatic
Its all in how you use it, buddy. I'm sure I read about a guy with a built Bronco II with the stock 2.9 and big Dana's in it that blew the rear 60. But lots of guys beat the snot outta their rear 60's without trouble, ever.
But by the same token I recall another Ranger with a mid mounted 460 and several NP205's feeding a Sterling rear (and welded solid TTB 50!) that never broke anything.

I like what you're planning with your rear 60 actually. Except that I would have installed a Dana 70 locker, ring and pinion (Jana 76 kit) we would have been on the same page.

Dana 44 Chev outers are fairly inexpensive (only place I looked was ECGS) $105 each. Just use the Spicer U joints. Everybody does.
https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/c-61637-axle-shafts-front-axle-shaft-dana-44.html

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 248EE46702D889 Expires: October 1, 2019

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Finally got around to installing and trimming stock fenders on her. I found a company out of Colorado that builds custom speedometer cables also. Gonna get a measurement for that this weekend. $67 plus shipping.
Still haven't had the time to rebuild the trans and T-case crossmembers yet. The training I have to go through for this new job is pretty intense. Still have 11 1/2 weeks of training left.
Maybe I can get her running in time for memorial weekend.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I had intentions to modify the crossmembers this weekend but my wife wanted to go compete in a rodeo. She took 1st place in the barrell race and got to do some roping. I hung out with my daughter the past two days. I'll get the truck done eventually. It was really nice just hanging out and not doing projects or working.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Modified the x-members and she's loaded up. We're at my sister in-law's for my mother in-law's birthday. I'm tryin to leave so I can try out the black box!

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where are you heading to test it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm gonna try to get to buck rock.

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice. I know there is a group out of Visalia going on Monday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I got all the way up there and my daughter got gassy and fussy. So we turned around and went home.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Just going through your Pirate thread. First off, congrats on your baby. :icon_thumby:
Second, I agree that you should keep running the 44 / 9" combo until the 60 front is ready but I'd go with the 10.5, 70 or 14 bolt rear. The 60 is kind of mediocre as a rear diff. Honestly, the 60 as a rear is about what the 44 is as a front. It will have issues, its not the best choice.

If you need to hold onto the 44 for a bit put in some chromo outers. That'll keep that going a while longer. They're not very expensive online.
for this application i disagree.

its lighter and has great clearance.
of course its obvious over 40 in tire can be an issue.

a later van axle eliminates that, holds up ok and upgrade able to 35 spline.

my axle is the older style. 30 spline junk, and parts are everywhere. 14 bolt is too big and requires more work then i am willing to do to cut it down. though if i was breaking dana 60's it would get fixed with a 80 or 10.5.

wiggle_wagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 5.0 Explor
Make / Model
Blue 0val.
Transmission
Automatic
Bobbywalter I covered that in later posts:
I'm not familiar with what you have anymore but for s#its & giggles lets say its the rear from a '78 - 79 Snowfighter pickup (which I vaguely recall you had.) Its 30 spline and the axle shafts aren't any bigger than Dana 44 shafts (1.31" dia). The spindles can't be turned enough to put 35 spline in either.
Now if you had, say, an Econoline 350 axle- they're 32 spline, 1.41 dia shafts and are limited to what locker you can use (because the 32 spline is unusual.)
The Dana 70, 14 bolt and Ford 10.25 are all bigger ring gears with better axle shaft choices.
Now, can you build a 60 up? Sure. But why spend to make an axle as good as a better axle when you can start with a better axle?
I have the econoline 60. I figured I'd buy new 35 spline chromoly shafts for it because that'd be about the same cost as aquiring a disc brake setup with E-brake for a D70. Which would still cost me 3-400 on top of buying a locker and gears plus searching for it and having to go pick it up. Am I wrong?
That was pretty much my plan when I wanted a D60 rear except I was going to add the Jana 76 kit. (http://www.jantz4x4.com//jantz.php?p=detail&pro=jana_76) Makes the ring & pinion 33% stronger than D60 versions with no loss of ground clearance and not much work to do it.
The E350 axle has the larger spindles that take the 35 spline shafts. They're pretty wide though.
You're making me want a larger axle lol. But if I'm not hurting my 9" I don't think that I will break a D60 especially with chromo shafts and lower gears.

I am second guessing the rear 60 now though...
Its all in how you use it, buddy. I'm sure I read about a guy with a built Bronco II with the stock 2.9 and big Dana's in it that blew the rear 60. But lots of guys beat the snot outta their rear 60's without trouble, ever.

I like what you're planning with your rear 60 actually. Except that I would have installed a Dana 70 locker, ring and pinion (Jana 76 kit) we would have been on the same page.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Been trying to find a set of 17" steelies so I can put my new tires on and drive her on the road. The boggers are cool and all but they kill the fuel mileage. Haven't had any luck. Probably going to have to order them online. I might go ahead and install AC because it's almost always hot here.

Plus the training I'm going through is freckin miserable and I still have a month left before I'm finished. I'm 4 hours away from home and have no time to drive her. I've been driving my f350 because she has AC.

wiggle_wagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 5.0 Explor
Make / Model
Blue 0val.
Transmission
Automatic
Its funny how that works. Always seems to be something that takes us away from the toys. Work, family, money, other responsibilities. Its a conspiracy. It just has to be. You aren't alone in this, brother.
lol
At least you're making progress. I haven't even bought a damn camera yet. :bawling:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I paid the registration on her yesterday. The tags should be in soon. I'll start driving her around locally until I decide she's road worthy to go back and forth to work. That's only a 7 hour drive each way lol. But I only have to drive it once a week. I still have a couple things to work out. The fuel guage isn't working, permanently mounting the license plate and installing a lamp for it, cleaning her up, shifter for the doubler and sealing up the trans tunnel.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Drove her around the property and played some Saturday night. She did good. But the boggers do suck in the rocks. I'm lookin forward to gettin some new rims so I can put the new tires on.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I'm in the planning stage of the 1 ton swap. Even went as far as putting parts in the shopping cart online at ruff stuff but just couldn't do it yet. The old lady and I are talking about buying property and building a house. I'm worried that if I spend the money I'll screw my self on a deposit some where. I figure I can do the swap for around $900 including Diff covers, but that's not including gears and lockers. I may just go ahead and weld the diffs until I can afford lockers...

But I drove her the other day to go hunting. Got a pretty nice buck. I figure he's 5-6 years old by the wear of his teeth.