• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

There's the problem!

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Having just spent a week rebuilding my front end (4 ball joints, all new bearings and seals, brakes with new hardware), loaded up the trash excited to drive my 'new' truck (bearings and lower ball joints had stupid amount of play both sides). Make the short trip to the dump (less than a mile), all great! Leave dump, and...damn if the horrible grinding that started all this isn't back! Grrrr...goes away in 300 ft.

Next day, go to work. No noise, drives great, no more wandering/changing directions over bumps. Get within 200 yards of the house...grindsquealscreechlurch. Wtf?

Pull rear ds wheel, remove drum. Adjuster falls out in 3 pieces along with half of a lining. Drum is fine, no grooves, all springs in place.

Don't really need any help as of yet, just something I've never seen in 23+ years, so thought I would share.:icon_thumby:

Pic of adjuster

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I had this happen several years back. The adjuster itself was still in place, but that is the arm on the left side. Or rather what was left of it...

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Seen it all. I hate drums.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I've been dealng with drum brakes for ~40 years, but my brother taught me a trick.

When you have them apart and you are unsure of the condition of the brake springs take them one at a time and drop them on the shop floor and listen to the sound they make...

Fatigued or overheated springs make a dull sound telling you if they need to be replaced. New springs sound different. and once you've heard both...

Of course you could just buy a spring kit every time, $15-$18 dollars isn't much money...
But if funds are tight this can make the decision easier...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals