• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

thinking about a SHO swap

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
While I appreciate the fact that a SHO motor would look really cool under the hood of a Ranger - and I'd like to do the same thing - I'd like to address your original idea. That is: a really nice street sleeper. If your basic engine is low mileage and the running gear in your truck is cool - learn everything you can about turbochargers and then find one or two to mate to your truck. Use an intercooler, construct a nice free flowing exhaust system and find someone who can reconfigure your fuel system. Eight pounds of boost is probably enough in either a 2.9 or a 4.0 to smoke most of your competition or at least give them a run for their money. If you staged two turbo's one that spins up quickly with a pop-off valve and one that only comes into it's own at high volume you could possibly have a very flat power curve. I built a system a few years back that made over 450 with a 2.5 Datsun six cylinder (280 Z engine with a Japanese 2.0 crank) It would be a lot cheaper and you would be buying new tires and rear axles a lot sooner than if you tried the SHO build. That's my 2 cents worth.

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
While I appreciate the fact that a SHO motor would look really cool under the hood of a Ranger - and I'd like to do the same thing - I'd like to address your original idea. That is: a really nice street sleeper. If your basic engine is low mileage and the running gear in your truck is cool - learn everything you can about turbochargers and then find one or two to mate to your truck. Use an intercooler, construct a nice free flowing exhaust system and find someone who can reconfigure your fuel system. Eight pounds of boost is probably enough in either a 2.9 or a 4.0 to smoke most of your competition or at least give them a run for their money. If you staged two turbo's one that spins up quickly with a pop-off valve and one that only comes into it's own at high volume you could possibly have a very flat power curve. I built a system a few years back that made over 450 with a 2.5 Datsun six cylinder (280 Z engine with a Japanese 2.0 crank) It would be a lot cheaper and you would be buying new tires and rear axles a lot sooner than if you tried the SHO build. That's my 2 cents worth.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the original poster didnt say anything about a 2.9 or 4.0 sleeper....:dntknw: 2.9's like to blow heads in n/a form...id hate to see one under boost :D

BigBlockRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 (8.9L)
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals