• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Third Brake Light

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
I just got a 04 FX4 and the third brake light is leaking, after ordering a new gasket on ebay and getting the wrong one I decided to get a new after market brake light with LED lights. My question is the truck didn't have the bed light and the new comes with it has anyone wired a bed light on a truck that didn't have one? I'm guessing it can be wired to the dome light but I'm not sure.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Yes, it’s trival. I got one from a junkyard Mazda that had the cargo lights and installed LED bulbs. The wire from the dome light isn’t far away and you just have splice into it. I think the switched hot connection to the dome light goes through one of the mounting screws, so I just put a ring lug under the screw head - I may have a picture on my laptop I can get later.

Edit: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/adding-bed-lights-to-my-2004.179715/

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
That looks almost as easy as I thought except I didn't get the light from a junkyard so I couldn't get the extra wire. Might have to improvise a little. Thanks for the input and instructions.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
Well, I got the new light today but it looks like I'm going to have to get another plug from a junk yard. It looks like the female end of the plug can be added to the 3rd spot on the plug but the problem is I don't have a extra plug might be able to get it from dealer? My other issue is I have the extended cab and I think I'm going to have to take the headliner out to run the wire because the liner is to close to the roof and it has some uneven spots that I can't get the wire through or over.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, I got the new light today but it looks like I'm going to have to get another plug from a junk yard. It looks like the female end of the plug can be added to the 3rd spot on the plug but the problem is I don't have a extra plug might be able to get it from dealer? My other issue is I have the extended cab and I think I'm going to have to take the headliner out to run the wire because the liner is to close to the roof and it has some uneven spots that I can't get the wire through or over.
Use a straightened wire coat hanger to fish the wire

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
Thanks Black_demon69 and 8thTon! I probably would have figured it out but you help made it a lot easier. I finally got it done yesterday, got another plug off a 150 at the junkyard and spliced it on to my truck with 1 wire going to the dome/interior light. The only thing that I don't think there is any way around is the cargo light comes on when I open the doors or unlock with the remote. it not a big deal, I just haven't noticed it on another truck. Thanks Again.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Thanks Black_demon69 and 8thTon! I probably would have figured it out but you help made it a lot easier. I finally got it done yesterday, got another plug off a 150 at the junkyard and spliced it on to my truck with 1 wire going to the dome/interior light. The only thing that I don't think there is any way around is the cargo light comes on when I open the doors or unlock with the remote. it not a big deal, I just haven't noticed it on another truck. Thanks Again.
That's how my old F250 worked, and while it's not ideal it seemed good enough given how simple it was to hook up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals