• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tie rod and drag link - how to tell when they are loose?

runnert

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1995 Ranger 4.0l 4x4
I went for an alignment yesterday and they said my tie rod to pitman was loose and that my tie rod to right knuckle was loose. They wanted almost $400 to do the job. Since I did my ball joints myself, I would do this job as well. I climbed under the front and I did all I could to prove those joints were loose. Sure I could rotate them down and up, but I could not see where they were loose. Or maybe I am not checking them correctly.

How do I tell if my tie rods are loose and need replaced? Or am I getting ripped off?

Thanks,

runnert

Mobtown

Reaction score
I just got done replacing this whole setup on my 88 2.9L. Parts can be had for around $150 and the job can be completed in just a few hours...assuming you dont need to mess with the gearbox or pitman arm.

Just replacing the right outter and draglink should only cost about $100 in parts(draglink, tie rod, and adjustment sleeve), but I would recommend doing them all at once.

I would also recommend finding a new alignment shop.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
start your truck and crawl under it.have someone move the wheels back and forth 2 inches or so and look at the tie rods,with weight on it its easy to see any play.a full alignment on these trucks costs about 100$ even so 300$ is alot for the rest of the job.an easy way to get the tie rods off is to pry on the tie rods with a long pry bar and hit the tie rod with a big hammer,they should pop out easier than using a pickle fork.these trucks have zero toe in so when your done use a tape measure on the front and back of tires to get the same measurement, that should get you close to zero,enough to drive it to an alignment shop.:icon_thumby:

runnert

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I will check it tonight.

runnert

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I noticed mine were shot when I was putting my new tires on it, with the tire off the ground I had a good 1/2" of slope front to rear in it, they should be tight. Might be an easier test if you can't find an assistant to run the steering while you watch.

runnert

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My wife turned the steering wheel for me. My pitman arm joint is loose - pops our of socket for a second. So I will need to replace that. But the tie rod into the right knuckle doesn't pop at all. In fact it feels the same as the left side. It is tight and seems ok. Also the adjusting sleeve seems ok. No different from either side anyway. So I will replace the pitman joint. I did find another place to go at the recommendation of some co-workers who live in the same town I do.

runnert

runnert

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Got the alignment done this morning. I did replace the drag link but left the rest alone. All went well.

runnert

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals