• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Timing marks on the block for ignition timing

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
I'm about to go insane trying to set the timing right on my 1994 B3000. Can someone who has owned one please verify if what I took a picture of is the timing mark? If so, how do I read it? I thought tonight that I put cylinder 1 at 10 degrees BTDC and lined the dizzy up but the truck won't start.
20190814_220605.jpg

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
So I never was able to find out if there is a specific mark in the yellow area that I painted in the pic. However the issue with my timing was that my harmonic balancer outer ring has slipped so the timing marks are effectively useless at the moment.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The timing mark should go all the way across the balancer. I really don't know much about those but found this in my Ford manual on the 3.0 distributor ignition
CAUTION:
Do not use a remote starter while doing timing check.

l Key off.

l Install timing light.

l Remove SPOUT in line connector.

l Run engine at normal operating condition.

l Is base timing within ±3 degrees of specified base timing?

Here's another note to it

Preliminary Note

The procedure described below for setting initial timing is to be used under normal circumstances.

This procedure is for Distributor Ignition systems only. EI low data rate and high data rate systems cannot be adjusted.

³ Procedure ³

³ 1. Place transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL, A/C and heater in OFF position. ³

³ 2. Connect an inductive timing light, Rotunda 059-00006 or equivalent. ³

³ 3. Disconnect the single wire in-line SPOUT connector or remove the shorting bar from the double ³
³ wire SPOUT connector. ³

³ 4. Start the engine and allow it to warm up to operating temperature. To set timing correctly, a ³
³ remote starter should not be used. Use the ignition key only to start the vehicle. Disconnecting ³
³ the start wire at the starter relay will cause ICM to revert to start mode timing after the ³
³ vehicle is started. Reconnecting the start wire after the vehicle is running will not correct ³
³ the timing. ³

³ 5. With engine at timing rpm if specified, check/adjust initial timing to specification. ³

³ 6. Reconnect single wire in-line SPOUT connector or reinstall the shorting bar on the double ³
³ wire SPOUT connector. Check timing advance to verify distributor is advancing beyond the initial ³
³ setting. If it is not, refer to Section 2A, Quick Test. ³

³ 7. Remove test instruments. ³

Last edited:

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
I am familiar. However the timing marks don't even stretch across 90 degrees of the balancer. They run from 0 (TDC) to I think 35 BTDC. That's it. It's rare but the outer ring of a balancer can separate from the rubber layer between the iron rings and slip. Eventually I will replace the balancer but for now the truck's timing is dialed in and I have other battles to fight with it. Such as replacing freeze plugs...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Maybe the US assembled Rangers have a different balancer than the Japan assembled Mazda.
I found that to be the case in my 93 Ranger donor tranny from a 94 Mazda. I knew well ever bolt on the Ranger, but they were all different pulling the Mazda.
I came to believe the assembly line being in different countries was the reason for this.
Not sure if a Ford engine ships with the balancer in place or not but they could be a little different

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals