• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

To swap and what to swap

AgInternational

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 91 4.0 4x4 5 speed and the engine is getting tired, leaking/burning oil, making weird noises. The question is/are should I pull it and rebuild it? Or swap it out for something with more umf? And if to swap, what to swap in? I want to keep a manual in there. Any ideas out there? Thanks.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
302/5.0l V8 with carb and HEI distributor
M5OD-R2 trans and transfer case from a 1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2l V6(same bolt pattern as 5.0l)

M5OD shifter fits into Ranger hole in those years, older manuals have shifter farther forward, and can be used just have to bend shifter to clear the dash.

You can use explorer V8 with fuel injection but requires its computer and engine wiring harness plus sending computer out to get automatic trans software removed

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I agree with ron. Dont listen to the EFI cheerleaders, a good functioning carb will treat ya just fine and be alot eaiser.

Or, you could just swap another 4.0 if youre happy with your current one....thatd be the easiest route...

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I agree with ron. Dont listen to the EFI cheerleaders, a good functioning carb will treat ya just fine and be alot eaiser.

Or, you could just swap another 4.0 if youre happy with your current one....thatd be the easiest route...
Find another 4.0, millions of them out there and they all fit up til they went to SOHC

AgInternational

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also, I live in an area of Idaho that requires emissions testing.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Then the 4.0l OHV rebuild or exchange would be less of a hassle in passing emissions.
Rangers and Mazda B-4000 used 4.0l OHV engines from 1990-2000
You will just used the block and heads in most cases, swap over your current lower and upper intakes, and oil pan
There was a change in crank shaft in 1997, so 1990-1996 would be best years, 1997 and up will need the newer flywheel

Good read here on 4.0l OHV changes: http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/engines-fuel-systems/rebuilding-the-ford-4-0l-pushrod-v6/

There are some 4.0l OHV upgrades here: http://www.moranav6racing.com/category.html?CategoryID=32

Check emissions rules, they do allow engine size swaps but usually must be a same year or newer engine, so 1991 and up 5.0l, and it must meet emissions for that engine for that year

Last edited:

AgInternational

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is straight from the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality website. "*If you change the engine in your vehicle, you must have the emissions control equipment that was required for the chassis year or engine year, whichever is newer." I'd like to inquire more detail from them though.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
This is straight from the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality website. "*If you change the engine in your vehicle, you must have the emissions control equipment that was required for the chassis year or engine year, whichever is newer." I'd like to inquire more detail from them though.

Probably good to talk with other CN ranger owners "eh"

older aren't vehicles aren't usually held to the current standards but more to the year they were built. why I like the pre 97's my 93 anf 94 don't have EGR valves even. pretty basic emissions stuff otherwise.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So you can swap in an older engine BUT............it would need to meet 1991 emissions standards for that size engine.
If you swapped in a 1994 5.0l then it would need to meet 1994 emissions standards.
You do need to have an engine year documented if asked, or they will assign a year and it will be a stricter emissions year

There is no record of 4.0l OHV engine's serial number in VIN, so if you swapped it out with another 4.0l OHV they would never know, or care, as long as it passed 1991 emissions test

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals