• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

top 5 favorite cars

darkspork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Top 5 I've driven:
1. Mazda Miata
2. Chevrolet Corvette
3. Acura RSX-S (turbocharged)
4. BMW 323i
5. VW superbeetle (with Porsche engine swap)

Top 5 that I could never afford to touch:
1. BMW M3
2. 2010 Ford Must Shelby GT500
3. Cadillac CTS-V
4. Subaru WRX STI
5. Lamborghini Murcielago

darkspork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
#3--AMG Hummer. My first offroad vehicle, small size one anyway, I drove 5-tons first. I spent a lot of time messing around in these. The huge width, 37" tires, 18" ground clearance, triple Torsens and diesel engines--these are like a video game offroad. Just point it and it grumbles over anything. It will go straight up a hill that you will need to pull out the throttle lock and squat in the seat to see. They might tip over on the RTI ramp, but in practice, they are hugely impressive.
I spend a lot of time in the M1116. I won't argue how impressive they are offroad nor will I argue that they grip extremely well on just about any surface. I just hate the fact the weather stripping does nothing to keep the -30 degree outside air out of the vehicle, and I also hate how worthless the transmissions are. They fail a lot and hunt for gears at highway speeds, its ridiculous, these vehicles should have been built with an overdrive gear or a suitable manual transmission.

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
1. Bugatti Veyron
2. 64 Chevy Corvair Spyder turbo convertable
3. 64 AC Shelby Cobra
4. 1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe "Woodie" Station Wagon
5. HMMWV -

coffee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 73 Datsun 240Z
My wife's 93 Nissan 300ZX
My wife's Nissan 350Z
My 79 Dodge Power Wagon Macho

And wish I had 70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 Six Pac

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
1. 53-56 F100s
2. 73-79 F-series
3. 92-96 F-series
4. 03-04 Terminators :drool:
5. Rangers, for the most part. :icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
we have a 2010 camaro in our town at the dealership its gay its yellow, v6 and an automatic
Aren't those a 300+ hp V-6 though?

They are supposed to pretty peaky, but for a base motor it would be tough to beat.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not with the surely heavy Camaro. GM stropped using truly lightweight materials in the 60's. Or maybe I should say their materials haven't been considered lightweight since the 60's.

I am certain this car will be a disappointment just like all the recent American "muscle". Similar HP numbers to the European and Japanese cars with WAY more displacement. It will likely be heavy and slow in the corners with handling of naval proportions.

The Chevy fanboys don't seem to know what a good car can do so they will, just like most American sportscar fans, settle for horrific understeer and brakes that simply don't.

Only the GT and new ZR-1 can compete on the world stage.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not with the surely heavy Camaro. GM stropped using truly lightweight materials in the 60's. Or maybe I should say their materials haven't been considered lightweight since the 60's.

I am certain this car will be a disappointment just like all the recent American "muscle". Similar HP numbers to the European and Japanese cars with WAY more displacement. It will likely be heavy and slow in the corners with handling of naval proportions.

The Chevy fanboys don't seem to know what a good car can do so they will, just like most American sportscar fans, settle for horrific understeer and brakes that simply don't.

Only the GT and new ZR-1 can compete on the world stage.
How much do they cost?

Exactly, that is why we "settle" on lower performance cars just like the rest of the world does. How many Europeans drive Ferrari's and Lamborgini's? They are an expensive car for only the super rich, they not are driven by mere pesants in any part of the world. Personally I find things I have a possiblity of owning much more interesting than something I don't have a hope of ever even getting to sit in.

Add to the equation that a Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger are a much more practical daily driver than a high dollar import. They ride nice, have room for some stuff and are faster than any roads in the US will allow you to go anyway.

That is why I pick a quarter horse over a thoroughbred, they can do more than race in a specially designed track, and are by no means a slouch on a quarter mile track either.

Honestly if I had enough money burning a hole in my pocket to buy a supercar I would get my pilots licence and buy an aircraft that I can comfortably seat 4 in and legally cruise at 150mph travelling cross country. It is much more interesting when you don't have any tires on the pavement.

Last edited:

sbsumerix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i think they are going for around 35k but still the automatic in a "muscle" car i just seen another one back home its black which looks sick but another v6 automatic. i was big in camaros too i wanted one since i was 5 got one for my first car hated it now im into trucks and my ranger wanta be

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A BMW 3 series or Z4 would cast about the same or less than the V-8 Camaro but will spank it hard on a road course. I can't wait for Top Gear to test it.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is much more interesting when you don't have any tires on the pavement.
I think your best bet for cheap motorsports excitement is to build a big old 50's style three-point hydroplane from plans for $500 out of Gorilla Glue and whatever the best wood is you can get at Home Depot. Then go to column B and find an interesting engine. It needs no transmission, it's direct drive. You could get a small american V8. I see a $500 Acura TL engine--about 280hp, right in the first few motors out of 4,500 listed. Don't even paint the thing--just seal it to protect the wood but leave it dangerous and ugly looking. And with $1,000 invested in it, and wearing your Army Surplus WW2 leather aviator helmet and goggles and grandpa's old leather bomber jacket he wore over Cologne in 1945, you go out on a calm day, cigar stub clenched in the corner of your jaws and punish the lake and all those sissy metal flake bass boats.

irishblessing

93 Ford Mustang 302
73 AMC AMX 360
97 Mazda RX7
71 Nissan Skyline
70 Mustang Boss

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A BMW 3 series or Z4 would cast about the same or less than the V-8 Camaro but will spank it hard on a road course. I can't wait for Top Gear to test it.
The V-8 Camaro will turn your Beemer inside out on a drag strip though, it all depends on what you want to do.

I think your best bet for cheap motorsports excitement is to build a big old 50's style three-point hydroplane from plans for $500 out of Gorilla Glue and whatever the best wood is you can get at Home Depot. Then go to column B and find an interesting engine. It needs no transmission, it's direct drive. You could get a small american V8. I see a $500 Acura TL engine--about 280hp, right in the first few motors out of 4,500 listed. Don't even paint the thing--just seal it to protect the wood but leave it dangerous and ugly looking. And with $1,000 invested in it, and wearing your Army Surplus WW2 leather aviator helmet and goggles and grandpa's old leather bomber jacket he wore over Cologne in 1945, you go out on a calm day, cigar stub clenched in the corner of your jaws and punish the lake and all those sissy metal flake bass boats.
Actually grandpa was a radio operator in Japan during Korea... he was only 15 in '45.

All the lakes big enough for those things are on the other side of the state... I suppose I could take it in the Missouri River but there can be some big trees floating in it and I bet they could do a number on a speedboat. I think if I get a boat it would actually be for fishing and cruising rather than setting speed records though.

I wouldn't mind finding an ultralight plane sometime though...

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Going 150mph in a little plane is boring and expensive. Going 100mph on water isn't boring and you may die in your 50-yo design which is totally devoid of safety features, but it's cheap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals