• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tow Capacity

srisitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
How much can a 4.0 haul exactly? Thinking of renting a trailer to pick up another ranger in my 4.0L, but haven't taken it on the highway with that kind of load yet.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Pay no attention to me, i have no idea what im doing here. sorry for the misinformation

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No ^^^

GVWR = gross vehicle weight rating, this is the vehicle's load rating total: vehicle + passengers + load in the bed

GCWR = gross combined vehicle weight rating, would be the number that would be GVWR + trailer's total weight

So GCWR would be what the truck and trailer weighed if you pulled it on to a truck scale

Here is a 2003 Ranger spec guide: https://www.ford-trucks.com/specs/2003-2/2003-ford-ranger-specifications/

Scroll down to Base Curb Weight, under GVWR is that models base weight used to calculate max load in the vehicle, Total Weight is actual GVWR for that model, Rangers are all rated for 1260lbs load, 1/2 ton(1,000lbs) + passengers(260lbs)

Then down to Towing Weight, thats where you see GCWR
Automatic trans is much stronger than manual trans, so automatics have a higher tow capacity, no it has nothing to do with driver skills, lol, its just strength of the parts

So there are two towing capacities, with automatic and with manual
Also engine size and axle ratios, 2WD or 4x4

Basically you subtract Base weight from GCWR to get max trailer weight, assuming no load in the bed, as you add weight to the truck the trailer weight maximum must go down.

Trailer hitch also needs to be rated at at least 10% of trailers loaded weight, so if trailer and load weighs 4,500lbs then hitch needs to be rated for 450lbs

Lightest Ranger weights 3,000lbs, 4x4 extra cab 3,700lbs, so that plus the weight of the empty car trailer will the total weight.

Can your Ranger tow it?
Yes, shouldn't be a problem

May your Ranger tow it?
No probably not

"Can" is the ability to do something, most any Ranger can tow 5,000lbs, even 4cyl, although not very fast, lol.

"May" is the permission to do something, in this case is it Legal for you to tow that much weight on a public road behind your Ranger
The Ford towing guide for your Year Ranger will be the Legal limits used by police and insurance companies, so just a heads up

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
No ^^^

GVWR = gross vehicle weight rating, this is the vehicle's load rating total: vehicle + passengers + load in the bed

GCWR = gross combined vehicle weight rating, would be the number that would be GVWR + trailer's total weight

So GCWR would be what the truck and trailer weighed if you pulled it on to a truck scale

Here is a 2003 Ranger spec guide: https://www.ford-trucks.com/specs/2003-2/2003-ford-ranger-specifications/

Scroll down to Base Curb Weight, under GVWR is that models base weight used to calculate max load in the vehicle, Total Weight is actual GVWR for that model, Rangers are all rated for 1260lbs load, 1/2 ton(1,000lbs) + passengers(260lbs)

Then down to Towing Weight, thats where you see GCWR
Automatic trans is much stronger than manual trans, so automatics have a higher tow capacity, no it has nothing to do with driver skills, lol, its just strength of the parts

So there are two towing capacities, with automatic and with manual
Also engine size and axle ratios, 2WD or 4x4

Basically you subtract Base weight from GCWR to get max trailer weight, assuming no load in the bed, as you add weight to the truck the trailer weight maximum must go down.

Trailer hitch also needs to be rated at at least 10% of trailers loaded weight, so if trailer and load weighs 4,500lbs then hitch needs to be rated for 450lbs

Lightest Ranger weights 3,000lbs, 4x4 extra cab 3,700lbs, so that plus the weight of the empty car trailer will the total weight.

Can your Ranger tow it?
Yes, shouldn't be a problem

May your Ranger tow it?
No probably not

"Can" is the ability to do something, most any Ranger can tow 5,000lbs, even 4cyl, although not very fast, lol.

"May" is the permission to do something, in this case is it Legal for you to tow that much weight on a public road behind your Ranger
The Ford towing guide for your Year Ranger will be the Legal limits used by police and insurance companies, so just a heads up
So according to the manual for my Bronco 2 it says 4500lbs...I say maybe half that safely LOL. Not sure how they came up with that number but that's what the manual says with automatic transmission and 3.73 gears...4.10 gears shows 5,000lbs.

I wouldn't want to tow at the max weight in the first place, I've heard some say up to 80% of the tow vehicle's capacity? I try to remain very conservative in towing capacity, better to be well under the limits than close to or over the limits. With the way people love to cut-off those pulling trailers both pickups/trailers as well as semi-truck/trailer combos its best to err on the side of caution and have trailer brakes whether your trailer is supposed to have them or not, the more stopping power you have the better off you'll be...you can get an overloaded truck/trailer moving its the stopping that is far more important.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Just for the occasion.

36hqhy.jpg

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
How much can a 4.0 haul exactly? Thinking of renting a trailer to pick up another ranger in my 4.0L, but haven't taken it on the highway with that kind of load yet.
There's no sticker indicating the capacity on the inside of the driver's door?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There's no sticker indicating the capacity on the inside of the driver's door?
There is GVWR weight on the driver's door sticker, but that's the vehicles maximum weight rating:
vehicle weight + passengers + load in the bed or any cargo area in the vehicle.

Most Rangers are rated as 1/2 ton, 1,000lbs, Ford often uses 260lbs as passenger weights
So if you subtract 1,260lbs from your labels GVWR you will get "Curb weight" of your model Ranger

GVWR doesn't include trailer weight

GCWR, gross Combined weight rating, is the number you need to see towing capacity and that's not on drivers door label, it can usually be found in Ford Towing guides where it lists all the Ford trucks towing capacities.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Bottom line, rangers where never made to tow much. The ohc 4.0 2wd automatics had the highest tow rating and that was only 3,000 lbs. Could it tow another ranger + trailer, absolutely. Should it, absolutely not.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Bottom line, rangers where never made to tow much. The ohc 4.0 2wd automatics had the highest tow rating and that was only 3,000 lbs. Could it tow another ranger + trailer, absolutely. Should it, absolutely not.
Depending on configuration, some Rangers went as high as nearly 6000 pounds. As an example, this is a page from the 2005 owners manual...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Those numbers aren't really the tow rating, they are what it can tow with zero load and in magic conditions. You still have to go by the gcwr minus vehicle weight, passengers and cargo to get tow load. But yea its probably around 4.5-5k when you sort all that out not 3k. But a 05 is also alot stronger than a 91.

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Those numbers are quite literally the official tow rating, straight from the manufacturer. Yes, you need to adjust them based on payload (as referenced explicitly in the image I shared) but that applies to every towing situation and you're just trying to move the goalposts.

As to 2005? I went there because you referenced the OHC engine in the previous post. 1991 isn't available from Ford's website, but 1996 still represents the OHV 4.0:
Towing 1996.png

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I know I'm late to the party, but a 4.0 Ranger will easily tow a 4.0 Ranger. I did it on a dolly, with the rear driveshaft out, but I barely noticed the other truck, aside from it looking like someone was tailgating me really bad the whole way home.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
well not that I should have , but I did once rent a tow dolly (2 wheel “trailer” you put front end of vehicle on and tow a vehicle, the towed vehicle rides on its back wheels) and towed home a ‘97 3.0 2wd reg cab longbed with a ‘92 2.3 2wd reg cab longbed. Granted, I didnt go very far or fast (10 miles, 40 mph tops) but it did do it ok. When I got the ‘92 it was towed home on a dolly behind a S10 blazer, 35 miles, highway legal speed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals