• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing/hauling with an E350?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dude....

A 95-97 460 makes 245hp/410ftlbs.

A 94.5-97 PSD makes 215hp/415ftlbs.

The 460 peaks torque at 2200rpm, the psd at 2000.

Ive towed with both of them. Granted it wasnt anything super hilly, but still, the 460 felt just as stout. In elevation it maybe a different story with the powerchoke havin a turbo.

As far as the V10s go, havent ran enough of them to form a super solid opinion, but, atleast in the early V10 years, its basically the same old same old, the 460 comes on harder from a dead stop, the V10 grabs it above 60.

Which, everyones entitled to their opinion, and im not taking away from either the 10 or the PSD. But i wouldnt trade my 460 for early versions of either.

Then IDI stuff was more compareable to a 351 then a 460.
Where did you find that stuff at? Glad you posted numbers, though. We are getting somewhere.

I wouldn't trade a 460 either. I wouldn't bet any money on it though. I've had a 460, and a 2000 Powerstroke, and a (two of them) Banks 6.2 diesel. The Banks would pull the 460 inside-out and just beat the 7.3.

I used Sambos' 2003 F350 dually twice on long trips to haul stuff. And I had a 2000 E350 Powerstroke for many years, at the same time I had my 1987 crewcab diesel with a Banks 6.2 with a Gear Vendors. The 6.2 was the best performer out of those. Much quicker in acceleration with a load. Just have to watch the EGT. No gas motor is thick enough in torque to compete.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Where did you find that stuff at? Glad you posted numbers, though. We are getting somewhere.

I wouldn't trade a 460 either. I wouldn't bet any money on it though. I've had a 460, and a 2000 Powerstroke, and a (two of them) Banks 6.2 diesel. The Banks would pull the 460 inside-out and just beat the 7.3.

I used Sambos' 2003 F350 dually twice on long trips to haul stuff. And I had a 2000 E350 Powerstroke for many years, at the same time I had my 1987 crewcab diesel with a Banks 6.2 with a Gear Vendors. The 6.2 was the best performer out of those. Much quicker in acceleration with a load. Just have to watch the EGT. No gas motor is thick enough in torque to compete.
I have no doubt that a banks 6.2 would outpull a 460, also though, in 99 the PSD 7.3#s went up quite a bit to 525ftlb IIRC.

The super duty 7.3s were quite a bit stouter then the OBS 7.3s.

Also for the record i have towed with a late model EFI 460 (obviously) and also with a 95 powerstroke truck that was stock. Im not claiming the 460 can blow the doors off the 7.3 towing, just that, atleast in what i did with it, there wasnt really any difference in how the powerstroke pulled over how the 460 pulled.

Plus, ford rated both the PSD and 460 trucks in the 94-97 era to tow exactly the same amounts.

But i will stick by the fact that an empty 460 truck will blow the doors off an empty early PSD truck in accleration.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I have no doubt that a banks 6.2 would outpull a 460, also though, in 99 the PSD 7.3#s went up quite a bit to 525ftlb IIRC.

The super duty 7.3s were quite a bit stouter then the OBS 7.3s.

Also for the record i have towed with a late model EFI 460 (obviously) and also with a 95 powerstroke truck that was stock. Im not claiming the 460 can blow the doors off the 7.3 towing, just that, atleast in what i did with it, there wasnt really any difference in how the powerstroke pulled over how the 460 pulled.

Plus, ford rated both the PSD and 460 trucks in the 94-97 era to tow exactly the same amounts.

But i will stick by the fact that an empty 460 truck will blow the doors off an empty early PSD truck in accleration.

no it wont. it might keep up with a 2000 e350 psd. the tune was different on those starting early to mid 98. especially the passenger versions. those are what i refer to as gen 2. for the vans there are several variations of tune. i found that out the hard way.

1 to 2 seconds in the 1/4 rusty. like 4 car lengths. embarrassing is an understatement. no stock 460 beat a psd gear to gear...... i was NOT a diesel fan at that time. but it did not take long to become one. especially once the fuel tally is made and cheap ass propane installs were tried.. 96 was the last year of diesel hate for me. once we played around with propane on some trucks i was in.

i do remember Will not having fun with the kid bus... i looked into them specifically because of his descriptions at that time...he hated his van. and the hate was valid because of the tune and setup compared to the gen1.

better advertised numbers for sure. slower real world times toe to toe with a 95-97.(e series)

regardless, i have never seen a 6.2 or even the 6.5 that was chipped and had turbo/injector upgrades run past my 7.3 e350 psd. and definitely not our 06, 6.0 crew.

but they were not all slow after 98........the 6.0 psd vans run low 14 sec 1/4's with just tune....so go early gen 1 stroke or the 6.0 stroke if you have a shitload of time and money to invest..

or v10.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
This topic is still goin on? They are all gas hogs and do the same damn thing. It's hard to compare two different trucks when you don't know the history, maintenance records, or condition of either vehicle since those will change the performance drastically.

no. they are not all gas hogs.

starting with a psd, you inspect it for psd stuff....starting with a big block you inspect it for big block stuff.

of course....old processors are a giant pia. luckily the idm is easy to fix.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
no it wont. it might keep up with a 2000 e350 psd. the tune was different on those starting early to mid 98. especially the passenger versions. those are what i refer to as gen 2. for the vans there are several variations of tune. i found that out the hard way.

1 to 2 seconds in the 1/4 rusty. like 4 car lengths. embarrassing is an understatement. no stock 460 beat a psd gear to gear...... i was NOT a diesel fan at that time. but it did not take long to become one. especially once the fuel tally is made and cheap ass propane installs were tried.. 96 was the last year of diesel hate for me. once we played around with propane on some trucks i was in.

i do remember Will not having fun with the kid bus... i looked into them specifically because of his descriptions at that time...he hated his van. and the hate was valid because of the tune and setup compared to the gen1.

better advertised numbers for sure. slower real world times toe to toe with a 95-97.(e series)

regardless, i have never seen a 6.2 or even the 6.5 that was chipped and had turbo/injector upgrades run past my 7.3 e350 psd. and definitely not our 06, 6.0 crew.

but they were not all slow after 98........the 6.0 psd vans run low 14 sec 1/4's with just tune....so go early gen 1 stroke or the 6.0 stroke if you have a shitload of time and money to invest..

or v10.
Once again im not argueing the fact that a 460 *might* lose to a 98/99+ psd in whatever its mounted in in an empty 1/4 mi.

What i am saying is the 460 will beat a 94.5-97 PSD empty in the 1/4. Or atleast 0-60.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
yes you are disputing if its factory delivered trucks....maybe you are thinking 7.3 idi?

...if that is not the case.. i would counter that you were driving a broken psd truck....because a stock 460 out towing or out any-thing-ing a psd ..... that dont happen. only thing it can do is get worse fuel economy.

1st one ton to crack 0-60 under 10 was a psd. of course from there the tritons did do better then the windsors and the v10 bested the 460 as well. just the way it is. psd will SMOKE a 460 by 1 to 2 seconds in 1/4 mile, so i dont know wtf your talking about. thats empty. everyone was used to idi's and spanking the stupid out of them never got old.

i have towed the same load with various vehicles and have a real sense of it... my e350 460 with less then 60k on it vs a 560 k psd e350.....running burt t combs up through slade ky and the green monster doing tellico back in the day....the 460 dropped to 2nd gear screaming 55 mph(or less)..which is actually pretty good compared to the 6.5 td dually we used a few times and about par with a 2004 5.4 2wd reg cab f250.......

my psd merely unlocked converter...still stayed in od....and did not dip below 65 mph. not even sort of kind of close. i wouldnt even tow that load with the 300 or 351 vans that far...but those vans were pretty rusty. same gears and tires with same load... maybe a 4.10 geared gas truck could do better some how.

for your goals....1 ton brings capacity.

looking in texas for a psd is good money. psd issues from rare use are a good reason to not get one...but worth the effort to mothball it for what you get....

otherwise a later v10 is cheeeeeep. and easy. 2k can buy them. psd is big money for a gen 1.
Once again im not argueing the fact that a 460 *might* lose to a 98/99+ psd in whatever its mounted in in an empty 1/4 mi.

What i am saying is the 460 will beat a 94.5-97 PSD empty in the 1/4. Or atleast 0-60.

no. 0-60. psd was the first 1 ton to cross ten seconds in 94....ever.....

460....was not crossing 10 in 94. that means it is slower.. definitely not beating one in 1/4.

95 models of course. we run the tow rigs in 95 after a bunck of shit talking about the 454 being king shit. having only been around the idi trucks and cummins i knew diesels were slow as shit....but the psd....the most nutless on paper psd turned that all around.

there is one thing though the 460 does better.

burnouts.....it does way better burn outs.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
no. 0-60. psd was the first 1 ton to cross ten seconds in 94....ever.....

460....was not crossing 10 in 94. that means it is slower.. definitely not beating one in 1/4.

95 models of course. we run the tow rigs in 95 after a bunck of shit talking about the 454 being king shit. having only been around the idi trucks and cummins i knew diesels were slow as shit....but the psd....the most nutless on paper psd turned that all around.

there is one thing though the 460 does better.

burnouts.....it does way better burn outs.

Top truck is a slightly modified 97 F250 with 99,000 miles and a 7.3 PSD.

Bottom truck is my own personal 97 F250 with a 460/auto bone stock and in bad need of a tune up.

Its pretty close, but the 460 climbs faster. Had it had a new cap/rotor/plugs/wires and the powerchoke bone stock, it woulda been a runaway.

Also i had to lay off outta the hole...BFG A/Ts are expensive.

Last edited:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I got a funny looking f250(as Dirtman stated) with a 8.1 liter in it.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
hmmm. i have a 10.6 vs a 10.8 on those vids on video editor giving the 460 the win. the times which are normal and expected, would indicate they likely have the same gears. so that may be a gear to gear win....not knowing tire size or speedo accuracy of these vehicles.... its just pissing in the wind.

that truck next to yours would be the proof...and based on the initial jump in those videos i suspect you would have been seeing the back of it and it would just keep pulling away from 60 on to triple digits.

the reason i remember what i stated was from watching it at the track in astonishment and then looking up data later. i was not a diesel fan at that time and had to accept what i experienced...cummins trucks stock were slow still...the psd started something new...these were tow rigs. it was mid may on a test n tune. the gm was a few years old but the fords were new and under 5 k miles. i had just finished up my cobra install in my ranger and was tuning one of the cars these trucks were towing.

so...mid 16 to mid 19 were the times. and the 460 was not mid 16.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The reason he had a better jump then me off the line was the fact he brake torqued to build boost/fill converter on take off. I did not. I just hammered it. Plus, i laid off on the start due to excissive tire spinning, otherwise ida burnt them off to 25 or 30 mph.

If you read the description on the diesels youtube video, it says he has a cold air intake and 6 position chip. The intake...whatever but who knows where he had that chip set.

Fact remains i wouldnt be scared to bet money in a 1/4 mi brawl against a 94-97 PSD against my 460.

I would also bet money that with 8-10,000 lbs id be in a cab length or two in the 1/4.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The reason he had a better jump then me off the line was the fact he brake torqued to build boost/fill converter on take off. I did not. I just hammered it. Plus, i laid off on the start due to excissive tire spinning, otherwise ida burnt them off to 25 or 30 mph.

If you read the description on the diesels youtube video, it says he has a cold air intake and 6 position chip. The intake...whatever but who knows where he had that chip set.

Fact remains i wouldnt be scared to bet money in a 1/4 mi brawl against a 94-97 PSD against my 460.

I would also bet money that with 8-10,000 lbs id be in a cab length or two in the 1/4.
PSD has more torque. For pulling power, it wins. HOWEVER, the 460 has more horsepower. So, acceleration (empty, likely), it wins. Numbers are here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series_(ninth_generation)#Powertrain

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

racing empty......

things we know.

460 will do glorious burnouts. like fawking epic.

psd puts power to ground under boost....which is same thing you do launching the 460...up against the brake.

yeah...i will take that race.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals