• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing with a 4.0 manual

motoxchamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
I am going to be purchasing a 2001 or newer Ranger with 4.0 manual. I race mx and will be using it to tow quite a bit. I have a flat bed trailer right now but am looking to buy an enclosed 7x14 that weighs close to 2,000lbs. Fully loaded with my 2 quads, race bike, mini bike, and necessities I will be towing aroung 3,500lbs. The problem is that according to ford the 4.0 sohc manual con only tow about 3,300lbs. Is there anything I can do to increase the amount of weight my truck can tow? The automatic can tow over 5,000lbs with the same engine so I'd imagine the problem lies in the tranny. If I do tow 3,500lbs for long distances what will happen? If it makes a difference most of the time I will be on the highway.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Not the transmission. The clutch.

Just don't slip it for a long time. Miles don't matter. Just miles with the clutch down....

motoxchamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Coming from racing I know quite a bit about clutches. Can I put HD springs or different fibers to help my clutch last longer? How much would that run me? If I do burn the clutch up how much would it cost to get it fixed and is it something that a semi mechanically inclined person could handle or would I have to pull the engine and all of that stuff?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
you ever seen a clutch for a car....... much different than a bike. you can buy a heavy duty clutch. you can change it yourself. it is a PIA. you would have to pull the transmission.

Best advise ..... don't slip the clutch and you wont have to worry about it.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
"Heavy duty" clutches generally mean more clamping. Which is useless with a stock engine. Not slipping is exactly the same as heavy-duty not slipping.

It does NOT mean you won't burn it up. You can burn up ANY clutch in 10 minutes of serious screwing up.

HD clutches can shorten the lifetime of the hydraulics. The springs are (often) stiffer.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have been towing a race car in a trailer with a combined weight of around 3500 lbs plus about another 800 lbs on the bed. I just don't rev up the engine a lot when take out and I try not to stop on inclines. At over 73,000 miles now, my clutch is still operating like it did new.

If you just use your clutch wisely, you should have no problems.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
there is nothing wrong with the stock clutch or transmission. they are just as strong (some, myself included, would say much stronger) as the automatic tranny's. auto manufacturers always rate their automatics to tow more then their manuals as they dont want to be replacing hundreds of clutches on warranty after people that dont know how to drive ruin them trying to tow with them.

like the others said, minimize the time you spend slipping the clutch and it will last you 100,000 miles easy.

motoxchamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
What do you guys mean by slipping the clutch? Do you mean I should try to fully engage the clutch as soon as I can?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
bingo.

minimize the time the clutch spends between the floor and the foot-off-pedal positions.

motoxchamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Ok that doesn't sound like it wouldn't be a prob at all. I live about 1 mile from the freeway and most race tracks are close to a freeway so I will not have to worry about slipping my clutch in constant stop and go conditions. However on the freeway or anytime the clutch is fully engaged can towing heavy loads effect the life of my clutch?

Last edited:

motoxchamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Ok that doesn't sound like it wouldn't be a prob at all. I live about 1 mile from the freeway and most race tracks are close to a freeway so I will not have to worry about slipping my clutch in constant stop and go conditions. However on the freeway or anytime the clutch is fully engaged can towing heavy loads effect the life of my clutch?
ANYONE?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I will say it again, do not slip the clutch. Doesn't matter if you are towing on the freeway or in rush hour traffic in Las Angeles, down shift early, accelerate slow, and get the clutch as quick as you can with the minimum amount of throttle to keep from stalling the engine (I let mine go at idle and then give it gas when its all the way out, the only time I ever lose a clutch is when somebody else plays with my toys) and it will last a long time...... had a truck in the fleet with over a million miles on the original clutch.

motoxchamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
I understand that much but read my question again. Once the clutch has fully engaged will towing heavy loads still cause the clutch to burn up at a faster rate than if I was towing no weight? I know that even if I am perrfect when you shift you are gradualy wearing out the clutch but when it is engaged soes the weight have any bearing on the life of the clutch.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Once the clutch is engaged, your flywheel might as well be bolted to the transmission. The clutch only matters when it is slipping.

FYI, BDAB, there is a risk to your approach. The engine won't lubricate properly at idle speed at full throttle. I'd say there is a happy medium somewhere. You have to balance engine risk against clutch risk. I agree that you should get off the clutch as fast as possible, but I think that's a bit too fast. Note that you have the same issue with an automatic transmission -- the fluid will burn up if you "slip" the torque converter excessively under heavy load.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
again, it depends on how you drive. I just told you how to keep from burning up the clutch. I am not going to sat it wont burn up because I don't know how you drive. I could tow 6000 pounds with a 4.0L V6 and M5odR1 over the grades in Colorado and not burn up the clutch, Infact I put a 77 2 door LTD on a car trailer that weighed 2000 pounds and pulled it from bull head city AZ to LasVegas NV with a 2000 Toyota Tacoma that had a 3.4L V6 and a 5spd......... I was more worried about brakes and over heating than I was about the clutch. if you are that worried about it then stay out of 5th gear and you will be fine. If you tow more than the brakes can handle then you Will eat up the clutch. Towing 4000# should is absolutely no problem for your clutch and brakes......... just do the things I said to do and it will be fine. Learn to use the transmission. If the engine is telling you it wants you to down shift then do it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals