• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tranny Flush: Part Number Help

RangerJoey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Teen Wolf for President!
Hi All,

I'm going to service my '99 4x4 5R55E tranny and just want to be sure I'm getting the correct stuff.

First, I wasn't going to do a full flush since there's 120k on the original fluid and I'd prefer to do this procedure annually, (bi-annually?), to introduce new detergents slowly. So with that, I saw the capacity for just a Fluid Drop and Fill is like 5 Qts or so. Is it still safe/recommended to use Mercon V or has something superseded that?

As for the gasket & filter, I think the filter for the 4x4 is MOTORCRAFT FT134. But I can't find the corresponding Motorcraft gasket. Is there a different part number for an all-in-one kit or something?

Thanks for any advice! Oh, and super random, but is Mercon V also used for power steering? I need to flush that too so....:icon_idea:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Mercon V is still the correct fluid, and yes it is also a power steering fluid. You'll get more like 4 quarts out on a pan drop, total capacity is 10 quarts so most people will do the pan dop and fluid swap 3 times over a couple months to get most of the fluid changed if its never been done before. I highly recommend adding a drain plug so you can do the subsequent fluid changes faster.

After doing the 3 fluid changes in a row your good to just keep up with a normal pan drop and filter change every 15-20k. Some will argue thats overkill but I prefer to keep fluid fresh and not to rebuild my transmissions...

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Yup. I change mine every 20-25k. 70 bux or 1500 plus on trans rebuild. I think you know which one to choose. :D

RangerJoey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Teen Wolf for President!
Thank you guys! And I like the idea of doing this 3 times before winter hits. I was actually going to swap filters the first and 3rd time given the age of the transmission.
Am I correct thinking there's no official Motorcraft gasket?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Not sure on that, I always just use the fram or carquest kits from the parts store. Never bothered to look up motorcraft stuff.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If you want to clean the fluid up disconnect your top trans cooler line on your radiator and attach some clear hose to it and run to a bucket. Run the truck for 5-10 seconds at a time then shut it off and top off the trans fluid. Do this until you see bright red fluid running into the bucket. I have done this for years and gotten good results. You are going to need around 4 gallons or so

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
There should be a drain plug in the torque converter plus you can blow out the cooler lines for a more complete oil change.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
There should be a drain plug in the torque converter plus you can blow out the cooler lines for a more complete oil change.
There isn't a drain plug in the torque converter. There is no reason to blow out the cooler lines if you are pumping the fluid through the system and out of the top drain trans line. Blowing the lines out could just release debris and cause problems.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals