• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transfer case symptoms

mtnstyne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
OK I have a 2002 xlt 4x4 5 speed. Yesterday on the way to work about 30 minutes into my drive I went from highway speeds to about 30mph in town. I heard a steady clicking/popping noise that I couldn't identify while driving so I parked the truck while waiting for a ride to work. Later that day after it cooled off the noise didn't resurface until about 15 minutes of driving again, but this time at highway speeds and it was much more subtle and a minor grind/vibration rather than a clicking or popping. The original noise was gone but there is clearly something failing.

My question is about the transfer case being a possible culprit. Would a loose chain in the transfer case cause noise when not in 4wd? I have suspected the chain is loose due to a popping when 4wd is engaged and has been on my list of things to fix when I have the time, but I figured as long as I don't engage the 4wd it wouldn't cause any issues.

I just drained the transfer case fluid and the chain is clearly loose. How do I know if the transfer case should be replaced or if I can just drop it and replace the chain?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I dont remember if the 2002 is live axle, or those goofy auto hubs. But either way if you pop the front driveshaft off the chain is no longer spinning. If the noise goes away you've pretty much confirmed the issue is the chain or driveshaft.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Most likely cause of the noise is the propeller joint on front drive shaft

Common issue on Rangers and Explorers when Ford shifted over to that set up

The front drive shaft is always turning, even in 2WD on 2001 and up Rangers, so noise is not dependent on 4WD selection

Google: ford ranger propeller shaft

Jack up both front wheels and spin them and drive shaft(in 2WD) and see if you can localize the noise, it is possible an axle CV joint is making it but the drive shaft propeller joint was a common issues for "popping noise"

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My front prop shaft made that same noise, at about 140,000 miles--replaced it with a complete replacement, no rebuild--
Don't go cheap on this one, as the first 100 dollar unit vibrated at hwy speeds! It was tight, but something out of whack on the flex coupler, at the t-case.

mtnstyne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
First I have heard of the prop shaft joint. I have it up on jackstands now so going to have someone spin the tires while under it this weekend. Won't get to it until then with work hours.

mtnstyne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
OK, going to replace the prop shaft as there is significant play and noise in the CV joint from any movement. The question I have now is how do I know which part to order? I am looking at o'reilly and they have 3 different ones with such small length differences it's hard to believe any of these won't work. First is 30 7/16", second 30 9/16" and last is 30 3/4" all compressed. From shortest to longest is 5/16" difference. When will these part stores add a function to search by VIN number so you know what you order is the right part...anyone know if these are just due to different manufacturers and all will work?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1998 to 2011 Ranger used the same unit so not thinking that length will matter much
Explorers use the same unit

Ford never sold these as a part, they only sold the whole front drive shaft as a part, 1L2Z-4A376-AA

I think the Dorman 932-201 was a popular choice but never used one myself

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The name Dorman makes me shiver and throw up a little. I've never used one either but if its anything like 99% of their other stuff you're better off with buying junkyard parts.

Opinion based on experience with the dorman brand, not that part...

mtnstyne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Anyone use USA Standard Gear and have good or bad reviews?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Do your homework. Check the other 4x4 sites, look at reviews. All I can tell you. Hopefully someone here has some personal experience. But any time I deal with a new parts supplier I spend alot of time asking and searching before I commit to buy so you're on the right track.

mtnstyne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
The transmission is an R1HD and all the driveshafts I am finding are saying they aren't compatible with the R1HD, only with the R1. I thought they were basically the same transmission with some gearing differences but externally the same.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Drive shaft(s) hooks to transfer case????

Not the transmission, so manual or automatic wouldn't matter nor the model number of that manual or automatic transmission

Transfer case is a BW1354 1998-2011 used same front drive shaft

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals