• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission not shifting when overdrive is on.

Carolina Tom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 Ranger 4wd with a 3.0L engine and Auto tranny.

In the past few days the transmission will not shift gears when in drive and Overdrive is engage. I can manually shifter from 1 to 2 to 3 so I can move from a stop light, but it just stays in a high gear if it is in drive.

However, when the over drive is disengaged, the transmission will shift up and down through the gears just fine.

Any ideas that can help resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Tom

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
in normal operation overdrive is used, no indications or lights are on. transmission shifts up and down as needed.
when you press the switch and the overdrive light comes on that means overdrive is locked out/not being used.
the transmission will act differently when the OD light is on.
I'd have to read the owners manual again, it details what the differences are.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You've got a series 4r\5r Transmission that likely has an issue.
Need to scan+read & write down & repost here any OBD2 TroubleCodes.
Need an OBD2 Scanner that reads StandardSAE & ProprietaryFord data.
Can try a "Free" Scanner at a parts store, but they are hit+miss on reading Ford Transmission codes.
Cick here for more info on OBD2 Scanners.

Carolina Tom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
in normal operation overdrive is used, no indications or lights are on. transmission shifts up and down as needed.
when you press the switch and the overdrive light comes on that means overdrive is locked out/not being used.
the transmission will act differently when the OD light is on.
I'd have to read the owners manual again, it details what the differences are.
The transmission does not shift gears at all unless the O/D is disengaged. When the O/D off Light is lit, it upshifts and downshifts as normal.

Tom.

Carolina Tom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You've got a series 4r\5r Transmission that likely has an issue.
Need to scan+read & write down & repost here any OBD2 TroubleCodes.
Need an OBD2 Scanner that reads StandardSAE & ProprietaryFord data.
Can try a "Free" Scanner at a parts store, but they are hit+miss on reading Ford Transmission codes.
Cick here for more info on OBD2 Scanners.
I have a Thinkdiag code reader that does a good job going deep into most of the cars that I own (2000 Ranger, 2010 Ridgeline, 2007 Vue, and a 2004 Workhorse Chassis RV). It has bidirectional controls, so a lot of individual systems can be tested -- the bidirectional function on the code reader can send signals straight from one of the car's modules which is very helpful in determining if the reason the driver window does not roll down is due to a bad switch or a bad motor.

Specifically for the Ranger, it can read a ton of live data points for both the engine and the transmission. It also has transmission self-tests for both Ignition On Engine Off and Ignition On Engine On modes. Neither of those self-tests could be completed because it gave a P1780 code, which it described as OCS (Occupant Classification System) Not in Self Test Range. That seemed rather nondescript, with no real useful information provided.

However, upon Googling, I found this:

Code P1780 Ford Possible Causes:
* Transmission Control Switch (TCS) not cycled during the self-test
* Faulty Transmission Control Switch
* Transmission Control Switch harness is open or shorted
* Transmission Control Switch circuit poor electrical connection

It appears that the Transmission Control Switch refers to the O/D on/off button. I will look at the wiring for that switch, but it is odd that the switch itself seems to work normally, with the indicator in the dash turning on and off when pushed. I assume as previously mentioned that with O/D off shift points and pressure within the system may be higher to accomodate the rigors of towing. So, I am not sure if the P1780 that points to a switch is a red herring, or if with the real issue is within the tranny itself.

Thinkdiag Code Reader:

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The OD Toggle Button is a NotoriousFailureItem; the 2wire cable tends to short or break where it comes out the ShiftStem & turns down the SteeringColumn.

Carolina Tom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The OD Toggle Button is a NotoriousFailureItem; the 2wire cable tends to short or break where it comes out the ShiftStem & turns down the SteeringColumn.
Is there a way to check the continuity of the wiring? It seems to be working per the live data on my code reader -- every time I push it in, it registers as depressed, which I will also soon be if I can't figure this out.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There is a plug+socket connection at the end of that 2wire cable, down lower in the SteeringColumn. Best to take the cover off the column, remove the ShiftStem+Button assembly, inspect the entire cable. Reinsulate or replace as needed. See videos on YT.

Carolina Tom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm now thinking the p1780 is a red herring. I looked at a KOEO and KOER test on YouTube and there were prompts to manually depress the OD button that I did not see on my app (possibly due to running it on an old phone, or not having restarted my phone in weeks). Thus, it may be interpreting my failure to cycle the OD indictator as a failed part and it the ends the test prematurely.

I will try it again tomorrow morning, and if it doesn't work I'll seek out another code reader.

Carolina Tom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
OK, I can cycle the OD switch while doing the KOEO and KOER tests and there is no 1780 error code. I also did a physical inspection of the wiring, and there is no worn or chafed spot. There could certainly be an internal break, but nothing is worn through.

However, I am not able to complete either the KOEO or KOER tests on the PCM because I am getting a consistent P1000 code (On Board Diagnostic Systems Readiness Test Incomplete). So, there's that.

Tom

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
P1000 is normal after clearing any TroubleCodes,
either via a Scanner or by disconnecting+reconnecting Battery;
just means vehicle needs to be driven 50miles+ to clear initial testing.
Consider using a more Ford compatible scanner; click here for more info on OBD2 Scanners.

Carolina Tom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I ordered a USB to OBDII connector and downloaded FORSCAN on my computer.

Hopefully I can get that up and running tomorrow.

I will post updates when I make progress.

Thanks!

Tom

Carolina Tom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I received the VLinker FS OBDII to USB connector this afternoon via Amazon One Day Delivery.

Unfortunately, I have some mixed results.

The P1000 code is still present, and will not allow for completion of the KOEO or KOER tests. So, no progress there. It did, however, give all the conditions needed for the KOEO test -- Depress and Release Brake, Give Steering Wheel half a turn and Cycle the OD Off button. No further codes for the OD button, so I am declaring that as working correctly.

A couple of other codes came up while scanning all the systems -- B1352 and B1358. Both of these codes refer to the Ignition switch. The Lock Cylinder is very worn on this truck, and the key can be removed from any position (still required to turn on the truck, but will still run when removed). It probably needs both a lock cylinder and an ignition switch, but those issues have been going on for much longer than the transmission issues.

I don't know if this truck is new enough to have "learning mode" for the transmission, but I tried to erase it through Forscan. I took the truck out and both reverse and drive worked as normal without turning OD off. Then I came to a stop sign. When I hit the gas to move, revs went over 2000, and there was a slight movement of the truck. Hit the button on the side of the gear selector, "OD off" lit up on the dash, and the truck ran normally. I drove for about another 10 minutes, and the truck shifted normally about 2 out of 6 times with the "OD Off" light off. So, some progress, but in no way solved.

The transmission was rebuilt about 3 years ago. The fluid has not been changed since, although the level appears fine. Could this simply need a flush and new filter? I am going to have the transmission shop take a look on Tuesday, but I don't want a rebuild if what it really needs is just a service, torque converter, or some other less costly option.

Thoughts?

Tom

PS one side note, a P0500 code for Vehicle Speed Sensor came up on one of my KOEO tests. I erased all the codes and it did not come up again. However, when I looked for the VSS (or Transmission Output Sensor), I found it, but there was no wire leading to the sensor, and no broken or missing wires or connectors that I could find. The truck must have run for years without the connector, but it still seems strange.

Carolina Tom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
After discussing on another forum, it really sounds like the issue is a bad Overdrive One Way Clutch, also called an Overdrive Sprag.

The issue sounds identical to that discussed here: https://www.ranger-forums.com/drivetrain-tech-37/reverse-drive-dont-engage-but-1st-2nd-fine-146867/

The above thread has a video of a guy whose Mustang had the exact same problem, and what he did to repair it.

I am going to drop the Ranger off with the transmission shop that did a rebuild for pretty much the same issue about 3 or 4 years ago. Maybe we can work out a deal...

Tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals