• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission overdrive issues.

Lakewind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone and Merry Christmas. This post is about a 2005 Ford Ranger 3.0 but since I tried the Ranger forum and nobody had encountered this issue before it was suggested that I try the Explorer forum because it has a similar transmission. The transmission is the 5R44E. The transmission shifts smoothly in all gear. The issue starts when I try to accelerate while it is in overdrive (as in trying to pass or get on the interstate) the transmission jutters almost sounding like it's trying to downshift and up shift rapidly or rather it struggles trying to downshift from overdrive and it's kind of alarming when I'm trying to get on I-95. I can turn the overdrive off with the button on the end of the turn signal and it will down shift from over drive without issue but not when stepping on the accelerator. It seems to be getting worse. It's a relatively high mileage vehicle with 256,000 miles but it has been well maintained and has been very dependable. Has anyone had issues like this with an Explorer? Any input given would be greatly appreciated as it has most people stumped. By the way since the transmission is supposedly electronic , I had it checked for stored codes and it has none.

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey LW, Hang around a day or two, as if you were in good company. You will find your answers. Pleased to meet you :)

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ah yeah, in the meantime check out the tech section, you might find some answers there

Lakewind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Josh. Good to meet you too.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OD button is on the end of the shifter

Have you reset the computer?
If not unhook Negative battery cable for 5min, then hook it back up
You will need to set the clock
Computer "learns" drivers habits you need to erase that and start fresh

Turn OD off when you first start driving
Only turn it on when you are at speed on the highway, or as needed
See how it works and if there are any issues downshifting with OD off in any other gears, i.e. 4th down to 3rd

OD is operated by solenoid 3(C) which controls the OD Band
Solenoid 3 and OD band are also used for 2nd gear(OD off doesn't effect this)
So see if you notice anything odd between 1st to 3rd shifting

From your description either computer is not turning off solenoid 3 or the OD band is not releasing fully for down shift to 4th
If band was not releasing then you may notice that after stopping and then starting off again, i.e. you may still be in 2nd not 1st

Lakewind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hello Ron. I really appreciate your response and it's sounds like you have knowledge of this transmission and I'm thankful of that. I disconnected by negative battery cable for about 10 minutes reconnected, reset the clock, turned OD off and took it for a drive up to about 55 mph. I listened for each gear 1 thru 4 to shift and visually watched the tach drop after each shift to ensure all 4 gears engaged. It shifted smoothly. I stepped on the accelerator while in 4th to downshift. Although it grabbed rather hard it did downshift (will it downshift from 4th to 2nd? because tach jumped to about 4000 rpm) without much problem. I let the trans shift to 4th and slowly came to a stop listening and watching tach as it shifted from 4th to 3rd. 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to first without a problem. I repeated the process with the same results. I turned OD on and went for a ride and listened to all 5 gears shift smoothly. Accelerating it downshifted from 5th to 4th without much problem (it grabbed a little hard). Cruising about 60 mph I backed off the accelerator and the truck slowed to approximately 50 mph (maybe a little less) and I could hear the transmission juttering (the best I could describe) like it was trying to downshift and up shift rapidly from 5th to 4th for a few seconds at that one particular speed like it was confused as to what to do. Kind of strange. I believe that's what it is happening on the interstate ramp getting on I-95 only the juttering is louder almost a vibration. I believe it's that OD band like you said. I'm just guessing. I'm tempted to have the transmission filter changed like I had done in the past as general maintenance since it's been awhile. It never used to do this and seems to be getting worse..

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals