• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

trouble shooting

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You might still have the vacuum diagram on a sticker at the front of the engine bay, usually in the radiator support.

pcav

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you unplug them the engine will start running rough or stall because you are creating a huge vacuum leak. However, you can unplug individual lines at the vacuum port on the manifold and put a cap over the port to prevent a vacuum leak. You can buy vacuum line caps at most auto parts stores. I'm not familiar with the ports on a 92, but I'm assuming there are normally a few or more vacuum lines connected to several ports. You can disconnect them one by one, but a cap over the port on the manifold and take it for a test drive. If you find one of the lines may have a leak you may have to check for a T in that line that splits off for different devices/sensors. These tests may turn on the check engine light on OBDII vehicles (95 and later). I don't know if that is the case on a 92. Don't overlook the possibility of an intake manifold leak, a leak in the power brake booster diaphragm, leaking throttle plate hinges, or anywhere along the air intake plenum between the air filter and where it connects to the throttle intake, in addition to the PCV valve and its tubing that connects to the intake manifold.

This website has vacuum diagrams. Maybe someone who has a 91 thru 94 4.0L can tell you, or post a picture of the vacuum line port locations.

https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/engines-fuel-systems/ford-ranger-engine-vacuum-hose-diagrams/

There are other issues that can cause your problem. Just do a search for surging engine or high idle. But, checking for vacuum leaks is the first step.
Thank you so much

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
It wouldn't hurt to start by removing and cleaning the IAC valve. That's idle air control if you haven't heard the term. Cleaning the throttle body is a good idea,too, just make sure to use throttle body cleaner and not carb clean.

pcav

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Not exactly...

I like propane... carb cleaner will work also.

Lightly release either on suspect areas below the throttle plate while running and note the areas that change engine RPM.
If you unplug them the engine will start running rough or stall because you are creating a huge vacuum leak. However, you can unplug individual lines at the vacuum port on the manifold and put a cap over the port to prevent a vacuum leak. You can buy vacuum line caps at most auto parts stores. I'm not familiar with the ports on a 92, but I'm assuming there are normally a few or more vacuum lines connected to several ports. You can disconnect them one by one, but a cap over the port on the manifold and take it for a test drive. If you find one of the lines may have a leak you may have to check for a T in that line that splits off for different devices/sensors. These tests may turn on the check engine light on OBDII vehicles (95 and later). I don't know if that is the case on a 92. Don't overlook the possibility of an intake manifold leak, a leak in the power brake booster diaphragm, leaking throttle plate hinges, or anywhere along the air intake plenum between the air filter and where it connects to the throttle intake, in addition to the PCV valve and its tubing that connects to the intake manifold.

This website has vacuum diagrams. Maybe someone who has a 91 thru 94 4.0L can tell you, or post a picture of the vacuum line port locations.

https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/engines-fuel-systems/ford-ranger-engine-vacuum-hose-diagrams/

There are other issues that can cause your problem. Just do a search for surging engine or high idle. But, checking for vacuum leaks is the first step.
I didn't find any leaks

pcav

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It wouldn't hurt to start by removing and cleaning the IAC valve. That's idle air control if you haven't heard the term. Cleaning the throttle body is a good idea,too, just make sure to use throttle body cleaner and not carb clean.
Still no positive results

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals