• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tuning the 4.0

AlaskanRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anyone done a 4.0 with EEC-IV tune? I would sure like to, but it doesn't look like I have alot of options.

#1 QH by Moates hardware. Looks like EEC editor by Paul Booth has a base tune for a 94 explorer, box code VET-1. The QH utilizes the J3 port on the stock ecu.

Im currently running a 92 explorer ECU in my 90 ranger, which works fine. Does anyone know how different the hardware is in there for different years? Could that 92 ECU run a 94's program? Or well enough so I could work off of it anyway? How much did ford change these from year to year? I could see making software changes, but im hoping the hardware is pretty consistent.

#2 DIY PNP a megasquirt setup. I can't find any EEC-IV 4.0 maps for it though, and I don't really know enough to make a map from scratch.

Am I missing anything? Tweecer's cal-edit software says that it will no longer attempt to identify base tunes from a stock ECU, and is much more expensive than QH, so I don't want to go this route.

Just checking the viability of this, and really hoping someone else has figured something out. Any input appreciated.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
What are you trying to accomplish?

Protowrxs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 - 4.0 Waiting
Transmission
Manual
What are you trying to accomplish?
What he said...

Unless you are changing injector sizes, mass air sensors, or really modifying your base engine a mass air EEC IV system is supposed to really do a good job of adjusting for changes.

I do understand that different computer years/models have different maps. For example the Explorer computers are supposed to be mapped for lower end torque than the rangers but I've never seen any side by side comparisons for the 4.0 over the years/options.

I am going with an EEC IV setup in my 69 Mustang with a 347, Trick Flow heads, cam, tubular intake, and more and everyone says the stock A9L should handle it quite well up to quite a bit of horse power. The CAI mass air is calibrated for the injectors so the computer should need much in the tuning world.

Not that it wouldn't be interesting to play with tunes but you are right, choices are limited for EEC IV systems for the most part.

Keep us posted on what you do and how it turns out.

Stephen

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
FWIW I plan on converting my B2 4.0 swap to Megasquirt 1/extra. I hate the stock convoluted EFI and have never liked the way it runs and I dislike MAFs too. I'm not sure the PNP is RBV friendly as of yet, although Matt Cramer at DIYautotune was talking about making it happen. I plan on wiring it in the hard way and getting rid of most of the factory wiring.

I run MS2/Extra on my Dakota and love it.

AlaskanRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I run MS2/Extra on my Dakota and love it.
Were you able to find a base map and go from there? I need to do more research on MS2. They seem to like alot of ford stuff. For example they say the best/easiest/most cost effective DIS system for MS is ford DIS.

As for the why,
I just want a tuneable system. My truck is pretty stock right now, other than exhaust, and it's bottom end isn't as smooth as it once was. Im just skeptical about how adaptive the system really is, and I bet if I had a stock exhaust it would run better.

Also I just want to learn about how this stuff works. Im really interested in turbo's but I dont really want to invest anything in turbos on a truck with engine management that I'm not sure will tolerate it.

AlaskanRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
"The 1990-1992 4.0's are basically the same with only minor calibration changes

1993's use a slightly more advanced form of engine management called "Active Data Link"
which enables the proper kind of scanner to actually read real time sensor outputs
rather than preprogrammed "pass/fail" indications.

Part of that change was Dual HEGO sensors, one for each bank.

and Different (not necissarily "better", just different) injectors.

1994 added a cam position sensor for SEFI, SEQENTIAL injection
The Cam "synchronizer" is not only failure prone but technically
demanding to replace as well as expen$iv.... "

^ post from Alan D.

Well that pretty much nixes the QH setup. I will read some more about MS systems

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Were you able to find a base map and go from there? I need to do more research on MS2. They seem to like alot of ford stuff. For example they say the best/easiest/most cost effective DIS system for MS is ford DIS.

As for the why,
I just want a tuneable system. My truck is pretty stock right now, other than exhaust, and it's bottom end isn't as smooth as it once was. Im just skeptical about how adaptive the system really is, and I bet if I had a stock exhaust it would run better.

Also I just want to learn about how this stuff works. Im really interested in turbo's but I dont really want to invest anything in turbos on a truck with engine management that I'm not sure will tolerate it.
No, I started from scratch.

And yes, EDIS is very easy to run with MS, I've considered an EDIS conversion on my Dakota.

AlaskanRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No, I started from scratch.

And yes, EDIS is very easy to run with MS, I've considered an EDIS conversion on my Dakota.
Well that's super encouraging. I read about fuel a bit today, next for spark. Alot of people are saying that you cant do a decent ignition map without a dyno. But ill do some more reading, sounds like your pretty happy with the map you came up with.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I've yet to take over spark, the 2.2PCB I'm using doesn't really support the cam and crank sensors in my truck. But I plan to get a 3.0PCB and use it in my truck then use the 2.2PCB in my B2.

Yeah without a dyno it's hard to come up with a good spark table unless your ass dyno is really good.

AlaskanRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've yet to take over spark, the 2.2PCB I'm using doesn't really support the cam and crank sensors in my truck. But I plan to get a 3.0PCB and use it in my truck then use the 2.2PCB in my B2.

Yeah without a dyno it's hard to come up with a good spark table unless your ass dyno is really good.
Its gotta be doable. People make awesome power with mechanical distributors. I suppose you would be wasting some potential power by treating as such, but awesome stuff has been done on really simple ignition stuff.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Reviving long dead thread. Starting from scratch with a Megasquirt 2 v 3.0 on a 2.9l.

Hoping a long shot works out here and one of you got it to work on a 4.0.

defender8300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'd be very interested in this as well. Would love SOME sort of tuning option for my newly built '94 4.0 5 speed. Not sure which ECU I currently have. MegaSquirt looks like a viable option, but well above my education level.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i tuned my 93 4.0. about a 12 wheel hp gain with giving it more fuel and timing across the rpm range. doesnt do much. waste of 300 dollars and an afternoon on the dyno. fastest run was 100hp/140tq

defender8300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
How did you go about tuning it? Normally I wouldn't bother, but my motor has been fully re-build. 10:1 compression, 422 cam, BBK headers, BBK throttle body, 0.020" overbore, etc.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
took it to a local dyno guy whos known for tuning some offroad trucks in the area and he put a chick into the computer which let him override the controls and write his own fuel mapping and such

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals